Monday, September 05, 2016

Summer to-read // review

via
So originally I said I was going to try to read all these by August first, but then I looked at a calendar and realized school for me doesn’t start till September 6th (aka tomorrow) so I had an extra month to read. Yay.  Still I only read about 56%. Hmmph. I took a few books off this list.

All the books I read (the ones with lines through them) were good, but I recommend the ones with X’s next to them.

BOOKS 19/34
1.       The Leader in you, by Dale Carnegie  X
2.       Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies, by McEntyre
3.       How to Read a Book, by Motimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren
4.       On Writing Well, by William Zinsser X
5.       The Art of Memory, by Frances A. Yates
6.       The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics, by Cutler and McShane
7.       Relativity and Quantum Mechanics,  by Fleisher
8.       Waves, by Fleisher
9.       Matter and Energy, by Fleisher
10.   The Fallacy Detective, by Nathaniel Bluedorn and Hans Bluedorn
11.   I and Thou, by Martin Buber
12.   Philosophy 101 by Socrates, by Kreeft
13.   The Law, by Frederic Bastiat X
14.   You Can Understand the Bible, by Kreeft
15.   The Thing, by G. K. Chesterton
16.   The Story of the World Volume 4: The Modern Age, by Bauer
17.   The Echo of Greece, by Edith Hamilton X
18.   Saint Augustine Confessions, translation by Henry Chadwick
19.   How the Irish Saved Civilization, by Thomas Cahill
20.   This Was John Calvin, by Van Halsema
21.   The Story of Christianity, by David Bentley Hart X
22.   The Illustrated A Brief History of Time, by Stephen Hawking X
23.   The Story of Hannibal, by Johanna Johnson
24.   Ancient China, consulting editor Carol Michaelson
25.   Persian Fire, by Tom Holland
26.   Three “Whys” of the Russian Revolution, by Richard Pipes
27.   The Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization, by Anthony Esolen
28.   The Ballad of the White Horse, by G. K. Chesterton
29.   Saint Thomas Aquinas, by G. K. Chesterton
30.   Between Heaven and Hell, by Kreeft X
31.   Biology, by Shepherd
32.   Rhetoric, by Aristotle
33.   Born in the Year of Courage, by Emily Crofford
34.   John Milton’s Paradise Lost in Plain English, by Joseph Lanzara

COMICS
35.   Captain America: The man with No face, by Brubaker, Ross, Epting and Guice
36.   Captain America & Bucky: Life Story of Bucky Barnes, by Brubaker, Andreyko and Samnee X
37.   The Marvels Project, by Brubaker and Epting

SHORT
38.   Sophie’s World Discussion Guide, by Jeff Baldwin
39.   Computing Machinery and Intelligence, by Turing


Did you find any awesome books this summer? xx

7 comments:

  1. Props for reading so much over the summer! Hopefully school goes well for you tomorrow!

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Morning! I hope you have a good school year xx

      Delete
  2. A couple of my favorites from this season are Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli and The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. Kudos on your reading!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! Those books sound cool. xx

      Delete
  3. You are so good at reading it's ridiculous! This summer I read three and a half books. Three. And a half. And two of them I read in a single day, so it's not like they were challenging reads! :P I did read some comics too though, so that adds a little... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias mi amiga. lol The comics totally count though. Did you read any good ones? BTW have you read any of Ed Brubaker's run on the Captain America comic? (Most importantly The Winter Soldier?)

      Delete
    2. I've been reading Deadpool comics only so far, mainly the Daniel Way collections, and I'm no expert on comics, but I'm loving them all! :D I've been thinking about branching out, especially into Captain America, but it's a little overwhelming. So I take it you'd recommend those?

      Delete