Wednesday, July 06, 2016

IN JUNE

via | alternate cover for Infinity by Skottie Young
I was away from wifi for a bit so this is a little late. I hope you all had a wonderful Fourth.

BOOKS
~ The Story of Christianity, by David Bentley Hart - Really nice timeline view putting everything in order in my mind.
*The Code of the Woosters, by P. G. Wodehouse - Wodehouse is always fun.
Infinity (Marvel comic), by Hickman, Opena, Weaver, Deatato, Caselli, Yu - Really fun to read. From its trailer I hadn't been looking forward to Doctor Strange very much, but now having seen his character in the comics I am.
~ The Thing, by G. K. Chesterton - A bunch of essays. I mainly read it because my brother bought it in England and gave it to me and it's an old hardcover and Chesterton.

~: on my summer to-read list

MOVIES & SERIES
X-Men: Apocalypse - I love the characters, especially Professor X. I'm not really sure what I thought of the movie, it was fun to see.
*John Carter
Penelope - It was fun and had some sweet moments.
Romancing the Stone - Didn't care for this one.
White House Down - This one was fun, much more so than I'd expected.
At the Heart of the Sea - I feel like it could have told its story better with different organization, but still, it did tell its story.
Pitch Perfect - I love the acapella music. The story had its moments.
Starter for 10 - Fun to see Benedict Cumberbatch and James McAvoy.
Sherlock: The Abominable Bride - Maybe it's just because I haven't watched Sherlock for a while, but I really enjoyed this episode.
The Flash - Run, Barry, run.
Gossip Girl

*: read/watched before



BEST THIS MONTH: The Story of Christianity and Infinity for books, and Sherlock for film (though most of the movies I watched this month were fun).  

LOOKING FORWARD TO IN JULY: The Legend of Tarzan (out since the first), The Secret Life of Pets (the eighth), and Jason Bourne (the twenty-eighth)


What movies/series/books have you enjoyed recently? What are you looking forward to in July? xx 

14 comments:

  1. Aw, you didn't like Romancing the Stone? I'm not exactly sure why, but it's one of my favorite older adventure flicks. It is pretty silly though. Was there anything particular that you didn't like about it? I saw Starter for 10, but had totally forgot about until I saw this! It was fun with the cast. :) I want to see In the Heart of the Sea, even though I've heard it's not the best. The cast again. :D

    I've recently been obsessing over films by Jeff Nichols. Very thought-provoking movies. Looking forward to Jason Bourne too, and Star Trek Beyond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, I enjoyed it (I usually do enjoy movies). The chase scene in the car was funny. I guess I just didn't really sympathize with the characters. Yeah it's fun to see movies with familiar faces. :)

      I noticed that just now reading your late reviews. ;) And then I started getting interested because you mentioned he also directed Mud. :)

      Delete
  2. The secret life of pets is something I want to see! Looks like it's really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Pets are wonderful. xx

      Delete
  3. THE ABOMINABLE BRIDE ASDFGHJKL. It's one of those things where I don't think you fully appreciate it until you've watched it through at least twice - on my second and third times watching, I picked up SO many thoughtful little hints and touches that I hadn't noticed the first time around.
    Pitch Perfect is something I've been meaning to watch!
    OH MAN. Don't even get me STARTED on In the Heart of the Sea. Suffice it to say, it's based off a nonfiction book from one of my favorite authors ever - yup, nonfiction. Nathaniel Philbrick painstakingly and meticulously researched this book on a topic he's very passionate about, and I feel like by oversimplifying the story just so it could sell the producers and directors were very disrespectful to him. I also feel like my oversimplifying the characters (*COUGH COUGH OWEN CHASE AND GEORGE POLLARD COUGH COUGH*) and not really showing the true extent to which they suffered in those life boats, the directors and producers also hugely disrespected the actual Owen Chase, George Pollard, and other crew members aboard the Essex who actually went through those unimaginably horrible events.
    *sighs* Hopefully Star Trek Beyond will be better! I've really enjoyed the series so far, so I'm QUITE excited for this one.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherlock is so packed with meaningful details. :)

      I'm glad you mentioned that, I hadn't realized In the Heart of the Sea was based on more than the book Moby Dick.

      Have fun watching Star Trek! :)

      Delete
  4. So many good movies you saw! Love anything Sherlock related and Penelope is darling. Really enjoyed White House Down and Pitch Perfect is a guilty pleasure movie for me. ;) Cannot wait to see the new X-Men and of course, Jason Bourne. 'Pets' looks really cute too. :)

    Sounds like you had a great month! Happy (belated) Fourth of July. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed those too Rissi!

      Thank you! xx

      Delete
  5. I found white house down so bad it was funny. My favorite parts are the fires that don't ever go out or get bigger, the secret service men dying so easily and of course the villain's reveal where he takes off his glasses. Aaron Eckhart was a fun actor to watch too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it at any rate Isaac! ;)

      Delete
  6. I adored X-Men: Apocalypse. Im sure Ive said that before. lol. but Charles Xavier means so much to me. i love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a matter of fact I believe you have. ;) YES. HE DOES TO ME TOO. Seriously, his character has been so influential to me. I love both Jams McAvoy and Patrick Stewart's portrayals of him so much. *hugs because you understand*

      Delete
  7. PITCH PERFECT *cries* the second one is jUST aS AMAZING (which is rare for movies sadly)

    I know this is cheesy, but I adored Finding Dory and I'm not sorry (maybe a lil bit)

    ~Noor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo yay, I'm glad you think so. I really enjoyed the first one, from the very first moment with that opening song. Such a great beginning. :)

      haha I'm looking forward to seeing that one at some point. I'm glad you enjoyed it Noor. xx

      Delete