Thursday, May 05, 2016

a tribute of sorts | cap and buck

Howling Commandos: The year America entered World War II authors Joe Simon and Jack Kirby wrote the story of young fine arts student who was not allowed to join the US army on account of his weak physical condition. Instead, he entered an experimental program where he was enhanced to the peak of physical human perfection. Given the codename “Captain America”, and sometimes called the “Sentinel of Liberty”, Steven Rogers fought against the Axis powers in the Marvel comics with his teenage sidekick Bucky Barnes as they countered the attacks of a secret Natzi party called Hydra. The climax of Steve Rogers’ story was when he and Bucky went missing in action. Steve was eventually found, but Bucky was presumed dead.  

Marvel is cool, because it forces you to think about what’s right and wrong and, once you’ve found it, inspires you to stand by it.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier:
In 2005, Marvel comics writer Ed Brubaker brought Bucky Barnes back into the story. It turns out Bucky didn’t die, but was captured by Hydra, brainwashed, and used as an assassin with the codename Winter Soldier.

The name “Winter Soldier” is in reference to a quote from the book Common Sense by Founding Father Thomas Paine. In it, Paine said “These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country”. So a Winter Soldier is someone who doesn’t back down, no matter what.
 :
In 2014 the movie Captain America: The Winter Soldier was released. In it, Captain America and a few others fight the the followers of Hydra who have infiltrated the US government. Cap also faces the Winter Soldier, his long lost friend, who is being used by Hydra.
One of the cool things about the movie Winter Soldier, is that, besides having an awesome cast and coolest, harshly beautiful, music and most epic, perfectly organized, fight scenes ever, the movie isn’t about who wins or is the best fighter, it’s about opposing viewpoints. Because Cap isn’t fighting a person, he’s fighting ideas.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Steve and Bucky:
If you take the movie’s plot and break it down into very simple form, you would see Captain America fighting the Winter Soldier. And it would be easy to label Captain America as the Good Guy and the Winter Soldier as the Bad Guy, but those labels wouldn’t be accurate because the Winter Soldier isn’t a Bad Guy. He’s a brain-washed, memory-wiped tool used by Hydra. This setup forces you to look beyond Good Guys and Bad Guys to what’s right and wrong.

Captain America carries a shield as his only weapon because he fights to protect. He’s called the "Sentinel of Liberty" because he fights to protect liberty. In the movie Winter Soldier Cap fights to protect liberty from the punishment before crime system of Hydra that does whatever appears necessary to achieve so-called security. The Winter Soldier himself is an example of what the tyranny of Hydra creates. When Cap fights the Winter Soldier, it’s like he’s fighting the thought system of Hydra. It’s cool the way comics embody ideological discussions into fist fights.

 :
As Cap and the Winter Soldier fight, the sight of Steve begins to spark memories for the Winter Soldier, Bucky. He begins to have a sense of himself. Before he was empty, his paradigm was direct order and immediate execution but now, as he remembers his past, he begins to question those commands. And as Bucky begins to remember and question Hydra’s commands it’s symbolic of the defeat of the ideas Cap was fighting.

As Cap says to Spider-Man in the comics, “Doesn’t matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is right [...] when the whole world tells you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of Truth and tell the whole world, no, you move.”

Captain America: Civil War officially comes out in the US tomorrow! I'm about to leave to go see it tonight at 10:45. Leaving at this moment actually. So goodbye. I love Cap and Buck. xxx (all images from Pinterest)

18 comments:

  1. I just came back from seeing Civil War so reading this post really gave me feelings. haha. I really love what you had to say about this. Bucky is my favorite. and the whole time I was watching Civil War I was thinking about how it relates to me and I thought about how things are always so clear cut. Like, its easy to throw labels and say this person is Wrong and this person is Right. but in life, things get messy and I think we need to understand that. so very good point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it Faith. ♥
      Civil War was amazing and perfect and I love it so much! :)

      Delete
  2. I loved reading what you had to say about Civil War- all the photos and words go together perfectly. I haven't seen it yet, but I hope to soon. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jordan! <3 I'm glad you liked the pictures, I spent a long time choosing them. :) xx

      Delete
  3. Such a wonderful tribute post to Captain and Bucky. Hope you enjoyed Civil War! I thought it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy! I did! I thought it was perfect, I'm glad you liked it too! :) It was wonderful.

      Delete
  4. This is an amazing post. Loved it. :) That's neat where the Winter Soldier got his name, I didn't know that. And that quote from Cap is so powerful. That's why I love Cap. He and Bucky are pretty much the best ever right now! I hope you enjoyed Civil War. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to add: Before I always considered Winter Soldier to be Bucky's "villain" name. Now I realize that the name actually suits him just as well -- or even better -- when he's not under mind control!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much Sarah! :) I knoooow I was just thinking about that too actually, how the title Winter Soldier is really a description of Bucky and not only when he's brainwashed. Such a cool title. Bucky is so cool. Oh and also in the comic there's some sort of explanation for the name in the story when one of the Russian characters, I forget his name, tells Steve, ''You [Americans] have your super soldiers, your secret weapons. We Russians have nothing but our winter.''

      Oh and you know that picture ^ with the caption "this is fear"? The guy in the white button down is Ed Brubaker making a cameo in the movie. :D

      I agree that Cap and Bucky are pretty much the best ever right now.<3333 And I'm so happy with Civil War. Yay!!!!! Have you seen it yet? What did you think? :)

      Delete
    3. I did see it, and it left me a little disappointed at first actually. I absolutely loved a lot of it -- the action and the characters, particularly Bucky actually, and Cap of course -- but the story felt forced. Basically. (My review's up, where I explain more thoroughly if you want to give it a read.) And that irritated me, but I think I'll be able to get over it and really enjoy it the second time. ;) I take it that you loved it? Are you going to review it?

      Delete
    4. I'm looking forward to reading your review! Yeah, I loved it. :) I'm working on a review, still organizing my thoughts though. ;)

      Delete
  5. I love this post. And I love these two characters. <3

    I wanted to let you know I featured your post on my blog in a review I wrote for Captain America: Civil War.

    A Vapor in the Wind: Why I Couldn't Pick a Side [Spoiler-Free] Review of Marvel's Captain America: Civil War

    Dani xoxo
    a vapor in the wind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much Dani! I can't wait to read it!

      Delete
  6. Kudos to your hard core layout in this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Han! xx

      Delete
  7. Love Captain America and all he stands for! #TeamCap forever. :)

    ReplyDelete