Thursday, March 31, 2016

In March

via

READ
books:
The Red Badge of Courage, by Stephen Crane - (for school) Wasn’t my favorite, but I liked some of the details in the ending.
The Usborne Book of World History, by Usborne - Cool.
Understanding Yourself and Others, by Linda V. Berens and Dario Nardi - Very interesting and learned a lot about the Briggs Myers’ type code and how it works.
The Explorations of Pere Marquette, by Jim Kjelgaard - Nice book. "Pere Marquette went on, for it was not within him to do otherwise."
The Mississippi Bubble, by Thomas G. Costain - Interesting piece of history I hadn’t learned about before.
Life Together, by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Ancient Rome, by Richard J. Maybury - (for school) Interesting look at how political philosophies influence the economy through history.
Between Heaven and Hell, by Peter Kreeft - Very much enjoyed this book.
Starbucks Interview Guide, by Matthew Arnolds
*Jeeves in the Morning, by P. G. Wodehouse ♥
*The Code of the Woosters, by P. G. Wodehouse ♥
*Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit, by P. G. Wodehouse ♥
comics:
*Tintin: The Land of Black Gold, by Herge - Yay Tintin.
*Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn, by Herge
Captain America: The Man with No Face, by Ed Brubaker, Luke Ross, Steve Epting, and Butch Guice - I didn’t care for this one as much, which was a surprise. The artwork was beautiful though.
Captain America and Bucky: The Life Story of Bucky Barnes, by Ed Brubaker, Marc Andreyko, and Chris Samnee - This was fun. A lot of it was briefings of familiar scenes (like when Steve and Bucky meet), but all told from Bucky’s perspective and memory, along with some new stories.
The Marvels Project: Birth of the Super Heroes, by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting - Liked it.
other:
The Devil’s Dictionary (selections), by Ambrose Bierce - (for school) Mostly not my type of humor, but there were some amusing definitions, such as ‘magnificent’ being described as what the ears of a donkey are to a rabbit.
Civil Disobedience, by Henry David Thoreau - (for school) Very interesting point of view.
WATCHED
movies:
*Bedtime Stories - 3/5
Red 2 - 3/5
*Stardust - 4/5 ♥ I love this movie so much.
The Pacifier - 2/5
All the President’s Men - 2/5
*The Crusades (1935) - 2/5
Cleopatra (1934) - 1/5
*It Happened One Night - 3/5 One of my favorite black and white movies.
Shrek - 2/5
series:
Flash - 3/5
Psych - 3/5
Daredevil - 4/5
Agent Carter - 3/5

*read/watched before
† Landmark Book


I tried using number ratings for movies before, but it didn't work out. But now I've gotten relatively used to using them on Goodreads, so I figure I'll give them another try. 1 = didn't care for it; 2 = ok; 3 = liked it; 4 = really liked it; 5 = amazing.

I love March.

I hope you have a lovely April. Captain America: Civil War is getting so close. Only 35 days til. Did you find any new favorite books or movies in March? 

9 comments:

  1. March is my spring, and I am having a great spring. I have read all of the Tintin comics and "Code of the Woosters" and enjoyed them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're having a great spring! It's the best. :) I love Tintin & Snowy and Bertie & Jeeves. :) Glad you liked them too. :)

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to see Stardust again recently! Probably because of Daredevil. It's such a fun movie, I never get tired of it! :D So what did you think of Daredevil's second season compared with it's first. I watched one episode a night and just finished it last night. And I didn't think it was as good as season one, but I did really like the Punisher side of things. :D Same thing with Agent Carter -- it was enjoyable, but not as good as the first season.

    My entertainment highlight of March was 10 Cloverfield Lane. :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stardust is so much fun. :) I should probably watch the first season of Daredevil again, but I think I'd agree that it's the best of the two (probably plot-wise anyway). (I like the new red costume now, but I think I'm always gonna love the black ninja one best. It was just so cool.) I did think the characters were consistent with their season one selves and I was glad about that. I liked the Punisher part too. And I liked that Karen got a bigger role. What did you think of Elektra? Tbh, I was just really annoyed with her for most of the time because she was getting Matt into trouble and messing stuff up for him, but then nearer the end I could see her value (that's not quite the right word) better. The whole part about Black Sky and having found eternal life was weird, but I guess the plot was easing towards weirdness from the beginning. Not necessarily in a bad way. The hand warriors with no heartbeats were a really creepy/cool problem for Matt.

      I actually liked the last couple of episodes of Agent Carter best of the whole series. I don't know which season I liked better though. That the second took place in Cali just kinda lightened the whole thing up a little, which was fun. Do you think they'll make a third season? I'd heard it wasn't likely because of Hayley Atwell being on another ABC program, but it would be fun. Either way, I'm glad season two had a happy ending. :) Though they did leave some strings for a new season (like who killed Thompson and what was in the file about Peggy and who wanted it and why). I was kinda sad Thompson died though, I didn't like him for most of the show, until the last few episodes. But maybe that was intentional, to make his death have more impact. humph. I did love that we got to meet Jarvis' wife in the second season. She was darling. They were so perfect together. :)

      I will now look that up. :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, plot-wise, with Fisk and everything, it was more focused. I didn't really like that there were two unconnected plot lines in this one. And I didn't care for Elektra. I thought she was an interesting character, but I felt the same as you -- she annoyed me with what she did. And it did get weird. I would have rather seen the whole season devoted to Castle's plot. LOVED Karen. Wesley did not die for nothing because his death made her into such a great and complex character! The stuff with Frank and Karen was my favorite. I did get a little more used to the new suit too, but still kept wishing for the old one. :/ And a wanted more closure to all Matt's drama. There was so much drama and then we don't even get to see a satisfying reaction when he tells Karen!

      Oh yeah? I definitely like the forward movement with Peggy and Sousa! ;) You're right, the lighter tone was nice, and it seemed more grand with a bigger budget, but I really preferred the writing in the first season. And, strangely enough, I liked that it was shorter as well. And the characters being already established didn't help. Peggy was still good, and Sousa getting a bigger role was good, but I felt like Jarvis was suddenly a caricature of his season one self. He was just too silly too often. And yeah, why'd they need to kill Thompson? it was like, "Here's a perfect happy ending..... JUST KIDDING!" Maybe his contract was up and if he renews it they'll make another season and he'll have survived. :P I definitely think they want to make another, and if they do, I'll definitely watch it! Mrs. Jarvis was a great addition. :D

      Delete
  3. yES TO LIKE DAREDEVIL.

    i watched the whole season over a few days and most of the time i was on the edge of my couch gripping the armrest and going oH NO Oh nO. quietly because i didn't want to spoil it for my sister hahaha.

    i'd love to see your review of season two because so much happened and you're one of the best reviewers around ;) AND FRANK CASTLE. cries. he and karen page were my favourite character developments. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY YOU LIKE IT TOO. :D DAREDEVIL IS AMAZING.

      Oh man I was the same way. YOU ARE SO NICE. Thanks, Lizzy. <3 :D Frank Castle was so cool/interesting and I loved how much time Karen got.

      Delete
  4. I just had my birthday a couple weeks ago, prior to which I went book shopping, so I've gotten a ton of new books this month. The ones I've read so far are Made You Up by Francesca Zappia (3/5 stars), Truthwitch by Susan Dennard (4.5/5), and The Blackthorn Key by Kevin Sands (4/5). I also finished Merrick by Anne Rice this month (5/5 stars).

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book shopping. *insert wild happy face* Those titles sound cool. 5/5 - I'll have to look Merrick up. :) And happy birthday a-couple-weeks-ago! :D

      Delete