Sunday, January 31, 2016

January

via
books read:
Are You Liberal, Conservative or Confused?, by Richard Maybury (for school) - Maybury's books are great: short, to the point, logical.
Sophie's World: A Novel about the History of Philosophy, by Jostein Guarder - Overviews philosophy starting with the ancient Greeks. The book has a clever twist which ties its characters to the philosophy they're learning, I liked the general overview, it's nice to get things in order and see how different thinkers lead from each other.
Captain America: Red Menace Ultimate Collection, by Ed Brubaker - I really like Brubaker's work and the artwork is beautiful.
Catherine the Great, by Katherine Scherman - I loved this book with all its beautiful descriptions of Russia. I'd love to go to St. Petersburg.
John Paul Jones: Fighting Sailor, by Armstrong Sperry - Also loved this book. "I have not yet begun to fight! (John Paul)"
Meditations on First Philosophy, by Rene Decartes
The Flight and Adventures of Charles II, by Charles Norman
The Mysterious Voyage of Captain Kidd, by A. B. C. Whipple - I loved the illustrations in this one. 
William the Conqueror, by Thomas B. Costain

stuff watched:
(movies)
Something New
*The Devil Wears Prada - It's a fun chick flick sort of movie.
Bride Wars
*Madagascar 1 & 2 - I love those movies. They're just funny. Mostly I love the penguins.
(series)
The Mentalist (season 1 to somewhere in 3)
The Guardian (part of season 1)
Flash
Kings (the first coupla episodes so far)

† Landmark Book
* seen before


I'd love to hear what you've been reading & watching. Have a fabulous February (yay alliteration) xx

11 comments:

  1. My sister is reading Are You Liberal, Conservative or Confused? for school too. she likes it. its funny to hear her talk politics now, considering she has never been one to do that before. lol.
    Im currently reading Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. *sigh* I'll probably be reading it until I die

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how you're reading a book about conservatives & liberals; I just finished up an Emerson essay which discussed about these two extremes, as well! I want to watch The Devil Wears Prada so bad! It's not going to happen though, with it not being an accessible movie on TV or at a place like RedBox or Blockbusters.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love The Devil Wears Prada! Meryl Streep is a queen. XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Devil Wears Prada is great! A good chick-flick comedy that isn't a *romantic* comedy. And what did you think of Bride Wars? I watched it because Chris Pratt was in it... and, well, let's just say that if he wasn't in it I would have lasted maybe twenty minutes. :P :P

    In Jan I read my first Deadpool comic/graphic novel/whatever it is they're called. I figured if I won't see the movie I might as well enjoy him where I can! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are You Liberal, Conservative, or Confused is fantastic!
    (Also, I nominated you for the Happy Tag, if your interested)

    Ava :)
    http://landofquiet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love your blog! <3
    Those books all sound darling! I enjoyed quite a few of them.

    Sophie xx | lantern-in-her-hand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sophie! <3

      Delete
  7. YOU READ SO MUCH HOWWW DO YOU DOO ITTT??? xD I have a problem with getting distracted and just reading slowly. But I'm finally creeping into the Lunar Chronicles so wish me luck. ;)

    love,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. So many things to get distracted by. But I forced myself to concentrate and was really surprised by how fast I could read when I did. So it pays off. ;D Good luck with your reading Abbiee. xox

      Delete
  8. thank you for your short books review. I'd like to read Catherine the Great from you list. I like discriptions too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed that book, hope you do too xx

      Delete