Friday, October 02, 2015

Review: Summer // To Do

At the beginning of this summer I made a list of to-do's so I thought I would go over that again now and see how I did.

via
+++
Get learner's permit – Yes!

Research colleges and learn about potential jobs – A tiny bit. I'm taking a television production class, and hopefully that will help me know better what part of film I'm interested in, if at all. 

Plan trip to England – I've made lists of where to go and found a really cool site for planning trips, I just need to put it all together and figure out about places to stay and plane tickets. 

Get in shape – I've been exercising on average about three days a week and in addition my mom got a running machine which I've been using. 

Take a break from reading – I didn't want to stop reading altogether, just give myself a break so I could enjoy what I did read. So that break happened, but now I want to get into a lot of reading again. 

Make an eBay shop – I collected everything I want to sell and took pictures of it, but I haven't made an actual shop yet. 

Improve my word per minute average (that is, typing speed) to 85 WPM – I mentioned I've been using this website, which is awesome. It has you practice typing all over the keyboard focusing on each letter and then goes back to practice any letter you're slow on, so the average really is an average of your typing, not just of easy stuff like a's and l's but of all the x's and z's too. My average right now 70 wpm out of 1128 samples and my highest is 108 wpm. I forgot to work on this goal until more recently.

Continue to research how computers work – This I didn't do as much as I want to and is definitely something I want to continue learning about. 
+++

None of those goals were very measurable (except the typing one), but I did work on each of them. Did any of you have goals for this summer? What was your favorite thing that happened? 

Besides this stuff I was also working all summer and packing. Some of my favorite things were the Fourth of July when I was working and ran the cotton candy machine with a guy from work. I made the cotton candy and Nat ate the failed attempts. It's harder than you might think to get the stuff onto those sticks. Especially as it was raining and the paper sticks kept melting. But I am now a master. I also went to go see Ant Man with a friend from work, that movie is great, but the best part was when the unexpectedly feels-filled post credits scene came on. The best part of the whole summer though was Disneyland for three days mid August. 

I heard this quote yesterday and put it up on my wall: “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.”  What with moving and thinking about college and school and an overload of emotions from being tired and stressed I like that quote as a reminder that worry has little place in reality. There's no use in worrying about the past as it's already happened, no use in worrying about the future as I don't know what's going to happen and can't control it, and no point in worrying about today, I can do something about today. I don't mean there's no point in planning or being conscious of consequences or anything like that, but worrying is different and doesn't help.  

10 comments:

  1. First off, bravo! Props to you for working on your goals. Even if they aren't all hugely different from where you started, you've still worked on them! And that's something to feel really good about. :)
    "I don't mean there's no point in planning or being conscious of consequences or anything like that, but worrying is different and doesn't help." < ugh, yes, so TRUE. I've been thinking about this a lot lately.. and that quote is pretty loaded, as well as super cute. The now is a gift, and what we do with it can and will shape us, and ultimately shape our future. The now is the most important thing to focus on, because it's the only place in which you can make a difference (in your life, and in the lives of others.)
    My goal this summer was a pretty simple yet psychologically-loaded one: focus. I wanted my life to be less like a multitrack session and more like a single layer of one sweet, beautiful instrument. I think I'm getting there. There is still a lot of things to distract me from my goals, but the garden always needs weeding, doesn't it? I'm not prepared to take my gloves off anytime soon. ;)
    Wonderful, motivating post, dear!!

    love,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) I know what you mean about focusing, I've been trying to do that more too. It's hard though, I'm a multitasker naturally and it's difficult to focus on just one thing at a time. It's a great goal, I hope you had a great summer! xx

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your permit!!! I know I was so excited when I got mine!
    YOU'RE GOING TO ENGLAND?! that's so COOL! :D One of my best friends went last fall and loved it!
    I have the same WPM average as you, 70. :D Back in the day (lol...like up until a few years ago) I used Type Instructor Deluxe. I was obsessed with learning how to type, and then becoming a better touch typist. I still think I could improve, so I think I'll be using that website - thanks for sharing!
    Props to you for making goals (for your summer, no less!) and working on them! I didn't make any goals for the summer, that I can remember anyway, but I have made a "summer bucket list" before. I would like to begin making more goals for myself. :)
    Great post!!

    xx Sarah
    imsarahanne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If I plan it and help pay for it than my Dad's willing, so, yeah. If that all happens. Aww we match. *high fives* The website is really fun actually if you're interested. Thanks again Sarah xx

      Delete
  3. Gaaaahh planning a trip to England?! That sounds amazing. Way to go for accomplishing so much. It's the best feeling to be able to check things off of a do-to list.

    I definitely needed that quote today. Wow. So much truth in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I'm glad you like it too.

      Delete
  4. I'm so jealous of you planning a trip to England!
    That is so cool that you were able to do everything on your list! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on it! :)
      Thank you!

      xx

      Delete
  5. Nice post! It's been awhile since last I blogged, you know, (Reading, writing, moving, working, etc...) I haven't been quite as active on the internet as I would have wished, but Summer was epic and needed to be enjoyed. Glad you made a few of your goals, hope your Autumn in great!

    -Max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I feel the same way about my blogging too. :/ I'm glad you had a great summer though, and thank you - I hope you have a great Autumn as well! Autumn is beautiful.

      Delete