Sunday, June 28, 2015

Inside Out | Review

via
(spoiler-free review)

"After young Riley is uprooted from her Midwest life and moved to San Francisco, her emotions - Joy, Fear, Anger, Disgust and Sadness - conflict on how best to navigate a new city, house and school. (imdb)"

I admit that after seeing the trailer I was dubious of the idea of personified emotions seemingly controlling people, but just a few minutes in I was happily surprised by how much I liked the movie. 


The story is surprisingly deep as it shows how memories can affect us, but especially as it shows the roles our emotions play, particularly the power and importance of Sadness (
). The truth of the idea that you're lucky if you hurt because it proves you've still got a heart: you can still feel, is eloquently shown as Riley () goes through a tough change in her life and seemingly becomes dulled to all emotion. 


via

Content: Rated PG for mild thematic elements and some action. It's a very emotionally charged story (no pun intended), though some of its depth would probably go over younger kids' heads. The movie is very emotionally intense, earning its PG rating. But it's through this intensity that its story is told.

Presently rated 8.8/10 on IMDb and 98% by the critics on Rotten Tomatoes. Written and directed by  and , Disney-Pixar's Inside Out is clever, funny, and surprisingly touching. 

15 comments:

  1. Ah, I want to see this! I've heard positive things so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pixar is so boss at making things super funny and and super smart, and super touching. It's kind of amazing. So I guess I need to see this one at some point! And hopefully it'll exceed my expectations too! :D What star rating would you give it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've kinda given up on star ratings -- there are so many different aspects of a movie that I rate individually in my head so giving the whole movie a single rating is difficult. :/ But since you're asking I'd probably give this something between three and five...not exactly four though, but I'm not sure if it'd be more or less. ;/ (See, this is my problem. :))

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, I know what you mean, I get that problem a lot of the time, too! Thanks for humoring me though! :)

      Delete
  3. I will definitely be seeing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pixar has done it again in terms of creativity. Will definitely be watching this after another positive review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a very creative story, and well played out too. xx

      Delete
  5. I've been excited for this film but nervous with worry that they might deliver a message about emotions that I couldn't get behind--like, always be happy! You can't be sad---sort of stuff. Thankfully I've heard that's not the case, so I'm really looking forward to see this! It looks so clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried about it for similar reasons, but I'm happy to say that the message in the end was not just "always be happy". I think you'd like it. :) It sort of starts out with Joy thinking that you should always be happy, have fun, all that, but her understanding develops to the point where she lets in Sadness to help - basically - take care of Riley, because Sadness has a role too and can't just be thrown out the window.

      Delete
  6. This looks like a really good movie! I would love to see it ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yaaaay! I loved this movie! My sister and I went to see it on my birthday (eve) and gaaah the brilliance. I really enjoyed it. <3 And you're right, it was a surprisingly deep plot line. *nods*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! :) And happy, happy birthday, btw!! <3

      Delete