Tuesday, May 26, 2015

This Summer // To Do

via
The trip I mentioned earlier ended yesterday. It's strange how unfamiliar the house looked after not seeing it for six weeks. Last summer was my first experience having a real job and it was stressful, but also fun. My favorite times last summer were bike rides with music and cool hours spent in the movie theater with popcorn watching Marvel movies. I’m looking forward to doing that all again. This summer‘ll be different though, the number of people in the house has halved and it’ll be my second summer working, so – theoretically – I won’t be as awkward. Whatever this summer turns out to be I’m looking forward to it. I like change and it’ll probably be full of it.

I work best with a grade and due date ahead of me, it's hard to get anything done otherwise. Now that school has mostly ended and I have more time to do my own stuff, and since there are no deadlines - just expiration dates - for the things I want to do, I've made this list to help me focus on spending my time well. It’s a list of the things left after prioritizing how I want to spend my time this summer. These aren’t in any order.


+ + +

Get learner's permit – I’ve been putting this off with good excuses (school and such) for a while, but I need to get my license and now’s a good time. “A good time” as in now is the time I can do it. (Encouragement would be appreciated.)

Research colleges and learn about potential jobs – Ever since I can remember I’ve said I wanted to make movies when I grow up. That hasn’t changed, but what exactly “making movies” means I don’t know. Right now the things I’m most interested in are computer science, camerawork, editing (both words and film) and writing. I also like organizing things and people and that sort of thing. My dream job would be working for Marvel Studios, doing what exactly I don't know. Basically I want to learn as much as I can this summer about what I want to do and how to do it.

via
Plan trip to England – I’m working on a full post about this, but for now I'll just say my Dad has said he’ll take me if I plan the whole thing. I’ve never planned anything like this so it’ll be a challenge, but I’ve wanted to go to England for as long as I can remember so I’m determined to try.

Get in shape – The main obstacle for this is that it’s going to take time and energy away from doing other things. I want to get into the habit of running in the morning. Because I'll have to be off the place where I'll be running by seven in the morning I'll have to go early. (If any of you have tips for a beginning runner I’d appreciate them.)

Take a break from reading – I’ve realized that I should put reading further down on the list than it is usually so I can spend more time on other stuff. I’ll still be reading some though, it's just not as high in my priorities right now. 

Make an eBay shop – For now, I just want to try out running one and see if it’s worth the time and how much I can make with it.

via
Improve my word per minute average (that is, typing speed) to 85 WPM – I found this website a couple weeks ago, my beginning average was 40, and is now 64. It’s a fun site to use if you’re interested and works well; it also shows you your typing averages, graphs of your problem areas on the keyboard and learning speed, etc. My fastest typing speed so far is 108 words per minute. I’m going for an average of 85 WPM by the end of the summer, focusing on accuracy especially instead of speed.

Continue to research how computers work – This isn't a very measurable goal, but lately I've become fascinated with how computers and everything that have to do with them work. Firstly I want to learn how assembly languages translate more complex languages like C+ and Java into binary. Hopefully, in the process of learning that I'll learn to read and write a little of those languages. I also want to learn how the internet and hacking works (don't worry, I'm just interested in the technology of it), and how to write programs.  

+ + +

What are you planning/hoping to do this summer? Also, if you have any advice or anything about any of the things I mentioned up there, I like advice. xx

27 comments:

  1. Omg my WPM is 64 too! (why...am I bragging...)

    Anyway, your to-do list is very similar to mine--I'm getting my learner's permit in July (hopefully), my mom wants me to start considering my college and career future (*cry*), and I wanna try to get into technology more too--specifically web design, as I've heard that there's good money in that.

    But I actually need to do more reading this summer as I haven't finished a book on my own since last year! >_<

    Great post! ^^

    O | Life as a Young Lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Ah I know, the future... I bet you'll have fun with web design. haha Well find some goods books and have fun! :) Thanks Olivia!

      xx

      Delete
  2. Your list is very similar to mine actually. Get a license and get in shape are on mine too.
    but I cant wait to hear about your trip planning! That sounds awesome! Your summer is going to be great, I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool we have similar goals. :) Thanks, it's a lot to plan and I barely even know where to start, but I'm looking forward to it. Thanks Faith. :) I hope you have a wonderful summer.

      xx

      Delete
  3. This sounds like an awesome to-do list! England? Goodness- LUCKY. And your gifs? Priceless.

    Hope you have a great summer!

    xx Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so! :) I know, I'm really looking forward to it. :D haha I came across that one and was just like "yeah, that could work".

      Thanks, and you too Kenzie!

      xx

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with the Learner's Permit. I read the handbook and finished a Driver's Ed course and still haven't gotten it. Good luck with your endeavors!

    -Max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I was wondering if you had any fiction you would like posted. I have a fiction blog here: http://gingerlionsfictionpage.blogspot.com/ If you wanted to check it out.

      -Max

      Delete
    2. That's a good start though, I still need to finish reading the handbook myself. :/ Thanks, and you too! :)

      Cool! I don't have any now, but thanks for leaving the link, I'll go check it out!

      xx

      Delete
  5. You lucky, lucky human! I hope you have the absolute best summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Thank you so much Jordy! I hope you have a lovely summer as well!

      xx

      Delete
  6. I need to get my license, too! :) I love how summer is like how you said, no due dates, just expiration. The England trip sounds awesome; I'm going traveling too, but to a place not as elegant as England. ^.^

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on yours! :) ikr?! I hope you have a great time, traveling is wonderful. :)

      xx

      Delete
  7. Go get that learner's permit, girl!!! (I should get mine too, I feel lame for being almost 21 and still not driving.) WOW! You're dad will take you to England?! Amazing! Good luck with all the planning! The typing program is great--I'm pretty fast but my accuracy drops when I'm speedy. Have an awesome summer!

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yeah, I need to. Aw don't, you're awesome. :) I know, I'm so excited! I'll probably be using up most of or all (ha) the money I made last summer but whatever. :) Thanks. :) I'm glad you like it, I've been having fun with it. Yeah my main problem is that I type certain letters too soon when I go fast. :/ But that's what practice is for. :) You too! :D

      xox

      Delete
  8. Your list is great! It sounds like you will have a productive summer and will learn a lot. I hope it goes well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I hope it'll be productive, it's funny though while I'm doing school I'm always thinking of all the things I'm gonna do when I'm free and now that I almost am I look at the calendar and I only have three months. :/ haha Whatever. But thank you, and I hope you have a wonderful summer and great trip!

      xx

      Delete
  9. Great goals. Good luck with that learners permit. I am learning how to drive right now and it is FUUUUNand SCAARY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susanna. :) Fun and scary sounds pretty good, you're making me look forward to it. Thanks for that. I hope you continue to have a fun with it. :)

      xx

      Delete
  10. Wow, you have a lot of great goals for this summer! Good luck with all of them! And you should definitely get your permit. Driving is stressful at first -- well, it was for me anyway -- but in the end it's very rewarding and worth it. :)

    My summer plans... are... to relax. And... that's about it! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah I need to, and I'm guessing it's gonna be the same for me, stressful at first, but I'm looking forward to driving. :)

      That seriously sounds realllly nice. :)

      xx

      Delete
  11. Let me tell you girl, computer language is the best :)
    These are all so amazing goals. I want to start running too, but with everything that's going on, I don't know how I'll start though.

    Hope you have a super summer <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned a tiny bit last summer and it was so FUN. Thanks. I know, there's always so much to do. :/ But I hope you're able to fit it in somewhere and have fun with it. :)

      Thanks so much Autumn, I hope you do too! :)

      xx

      Delete
  12. Dear Sarah,

    Wow, it sounds like you've got a lot planned for the summer! I bet it's going to be totally awesome, though. "It's strange how unfamiliar the house looked after not seeing it for six weeks." < Gosh, I know that feeling. YOU CAN DO IT! (To everything, really, but right now I'm sort of talking about your learner's permit/license.) My dad's teaching me how to drive right now and it's really fun/scary. That's really impressive and good that you have a general idea of what it is you want to do in the future/what you want to do for work. It's super important that you actually *like* your job. I know nothing about working in film, but if you're inspired to tackle that, then do it, girl! If you can dream it you can do it. As for running, I don't have much advice... running has always kind of bothered my legs so I don't do it very much. If you're looking to sort of ease into exercise, I would highly recommend trying some yoga. You can find tons of free classes on YouTube and it's really, really nice and relaxing. Plus it really focused around being kind to your body and respecting yourself, which is awesome. I starting doing yoga over a year ago and now I do it almost every day -- it has really blessed me. On the note of computer science, that's so cool that you want to learn about it! I've been kind of rolling around the idea of taking some online courses on computer coding and stuff. It looks super fascinating. Okay, I'll stop writing this novel/comment, now. Hehe. x) Have a gorgeous, brilliant, happy summer, sister!

    love,
    abbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the sweet comment Abbie! Aw I'm sorry running doesn't agree with your legs, but I'm so glad to hear you've had such a good experience with yoga. I really like and appreciate the being-kind-to-your-body aspect of it and have actually been thinking of trying it out a little, now I'm even more interested in that. YouTube is so great for lessons on random stuff. :) I've just learned a very little bit of CS and it sure is fascinating, it's such a cool field of study. You should try it out! :) Thank you so so much Abbie, and I hope you have a really wonderful and happy summer yourself. <3

      xx

      Delete
  13. Good luck on all of your goals! They all sound like so much fun ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I'm hoping they will be. :)

      xx

      Delete