Sunday, March 22, 2015

These Past Two Weeks - March 8


via
favorite film (spoiler free; numbers are my ratings):
Meet the Robinsons | 4.7/5
Lewis is a twelve year old orphan depressed at the failure of his latest invention and losing hope of ever finding a family when a mysterious boy appears out of nowhere and whisks him away to the future to stop the evil Bowler Hat Guy. There's a strong theme of family throughout the movie, as well as the idea that mistakes are progress as long as you (say it with me) keep moving forward. It's just a dear movie, sweet, funny, and very Disney-hearted.

Cinderella | 4.5/5
Cinderella holds true to the fairy tale and Disney movie. The visuals are very pretty and the colors simply gorgeous - one of my favorite things about the movie. Derek Jacobi and Richard Madden are perfectly cast as the king and prince, their scenes together were my favorite, and Lily James is lovely as Ella. Cinderella is beautifully told and pretty to look at, but it never quite clicked for me. I think that was because the movie is more drawn by the time honored series of events than by character development. But that's not to say I didn't like it.

via
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland | 5/5
In a one season spin off series of ABC's Once Upon a Time various characters from Once work with and against Alice as she fights the Red Queen and Jafar to reunite with her fiance. The mix of Wonderland and Agrabah - white rabbits and genies - is clever, as is the plot, and each episode is full and fun and moves the story forward. I've always loved Persian art and stories and I love Wonderland, so I loved this mix. The main characters are great: tough, smart, and goodhearted. Overall it's clever, fun, and I love the characters; I actually like this spin off series better than OUAT itself. (Wonderland can stand alone from OUAT, otherwise I think it fits in after season 3. Have any of you seen it?)

favorite quotes:
'Tis easy enough to be pleasent, when life flows along like a song; but the man worth while
is the man who will smile when everything goes dead wrong. - Ella Wheeler Wilcox

"Don't you worry about anything," he said. "It's not time to worry." -  from To Kill a Mockingbird

loved:
The way new tennis shoes feel
Reading To Kill a Mockingbird 
Bronze-gold eye shadow
Coffee - I've loved the smell of it for years but never liked the actual drink before
Sitting curled up in my bean bag watching movies (The Vow Cinderella)
Shooting hoops in the early morning on the driveway with coffee and the dog
Violin lessons - I have the best teacher ever
Watching Meet the Robinsons with my mom who'd never seen it before
Playing The Throne Room from Star Wars on my violin
The Leap Year and Father of the Bride (1991) soundtracks
Getting to the theater way early to see Cinderella and talking to other early comers
Spending a full hour explaining OUAT in Wonderland to my dad
Bert's Bees lip balm
Beautiful weather


favorite songs:
You'll Be in My Heart, by Phil Collins
Alice, by Avril Lavigne
Why Not, by Jonsi
Awake My Soul, by Mumford and Sons


I'd love to hear what some of your favorites have been lately.
Hope you all have a great week. xx

28 comments:

  1. I never even knew they made a spin off series of Once Upon A Time!! I love that show!

    Renee
    www.losetheroad.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. :) Yes, and it's so good!

      xx

      Delete
  2. Meet the Robinsons is one of my favorite movies!!! I thought it was just me. lol. that movie is fantastic and hilarious. I just love it so much.

    Also coffee. yes.

    and playing The Throne Room on the violin sounds amazing. I bet that sounds just beautiful.

    lovely post<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, me too. It's so funny and dear.

      Oh, yes. ;)

      It's so fun to play. I love that music so much. :) aw, thanks. I don't know how good it sounds but it's getting better. :)

      xox

      Delete
  3. Oh man! Meet the Robinsons is one of my all time favorite movies. I adored Wilbur. ;-D

    I love these posts so much!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Wilbur. :) I love that movie. The fruit hat....

      Aw, thank you so much, that really means a lot. ♥

      xx

      Delete
  4. I have yet to see Cinderella but I'm sure it will be one of my favorites as soon as I do.

    Some of my favorites this past couple of weeks have included reading "Peter Pan" for the first time and then watching "Finding Neverland" for the first time.

    Mat Kearney's new album "Just Kids", especially the song "Moving On".

    The fact that it is officially spring!

    Reading "North! Or Be Eaten" by Andrew Peterson.

    Cheers!

    a vapor in the wind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see it soon. :)

      I love Peter Pan, and I really liked Finding Neverland too. :) There's a really good (or at least I think it is) movie adaption of the book that was made in 2003 (it's just called "Peter Pan" so the year is the only way to really identify it ;)) that you might like. :) It really captures the heart of the book and it's fun. (Oh and I wrote a review of it here. ;))

      Andrew Peterson is awesome! :D His music and lyrics are great, and I've got that book on my bookshelf. :)

      xx

      Delete
  5. Ah, I loved Cinderella! Gave it the same rating as you. It was beautiful. :)

    Meet the Robinsons is so hilarious, isn't it? And so sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so pretty...and that dress...and the colors....

      Aw yes. It's so funny and random and sweet. :)

      xx

      Delete
  6. Great post! I love coffee, I went off sweetener though, it's true freedom!

    -Max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I saw "Into the Woods" the other day, It was great! I loved the songs, especially 'Agony.'

      -Max

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I have a really early class online and I don't know how I stayed awake before without coffee. It's funny how I never liked if before and them boom! I like it very much. ;) Nice job with the sweetener, it can be hard breaking a habit.

      Cool! I love the music from Into the Woods! haha Yes, especially Agony. :) That part where the two princes gallop past each other was priceless.

      xx

      Delete
    3. Completely! I was disappointed with what Chris Pine's character did with the Baker's Wife though. But all in all, it was a great movie!

      -Max

      Delete
  7. With all these wonderful things I've heard about Cinderella, I'm thinking it is a necessity for me to go see it now.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to! It's so pretty and the costumes and everything are gorgeous.

      xox

      Delete
  8. Everything sounds great! I've been wanting to see Cinderella ♥
    Amy xx

    Perfect Imperfections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to soon!

      xox

      Delete
  9. I can't wait to see Cinderella! :)

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have fun seeing it! :)

      xx

      Delete
  10. Oooo, I think I need to check out Once Upon a Time in Wonderland. Sounds amazing! Great post, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Yes, you do. It's totally fun and clever and I love it and I hope you do to and I should stop saying and but you get the idea so please do so we can talk about it. ;)
      Thanks so much, girl!

      xx

      Delete
  11. How did I forget to comment on here?!

    I kinda dropped Once Upon A Time at the end of one of the seasons, so I'm glad their an alternative show! I'll have to try Wonderland out soon!

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe Thank you for coming back, I love your comments. <3

      I get frustrated with OUAT everyone once in a while but my little sister loves it so I've never dropped it; but watching Wonderland has given me more of an understanding for the storytelling and type of show that both it and Once are (they're written by the same people I believe), OUAT is so complicated and has so many characters that sometimes it feels like nothing's happened or that the characters are all very similar, but watching Wonderland, which is much less complicated and has many, many fewer characters gave me more of understanding/appreciation for OUAT and my love for it is renewed. ;)
      But I really hope you watch Wonderland sometime. I think you'd like it; anyway I really hope you would because I loved it and it would be fun to talk about it. :)

      xox

      Delete
  12. The image up top...so pretty! I've been very into watercolor lately, it just feels so spring. And I love the quotes. I bought To Kill a Mockingbird recently and I've yet to begin (haha) but you have inspired me to do that soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it?! I know, it's so spring-y... My sister has been doing watercolor lately too and she made a copy of it for me. <3
      I'm glad you like the quotes. And I hope you like To Kill a Mockingbird, I really did. Gosh, there are so many beautiful books to read.

      xx

      Delete
  13. Everyone I know hated Once upon a Time in Wonderland, so I'm glad I found someone who, like me, loved it! Cinderella and Meet the Robinsons were great as well (although MtR is a bit old by now, isn't it? I think it's great you mentioned it, though)! I'm so jealous that you can play the violin! x

    Cloudy Dreams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's too bad about people not liking OUAT in Wonderland! I'm glad to find someone else who knows it and loves it too! *fist bumps* haha Yeah, Meet the Robinsons came out in 2007, I was just short-reviewing movies/TV shows I'd seen recently that I loved. :) Aw, thanks! I'm still learning though. ;)

      xox

      Delete