Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Imitation Game | Review



via
(this review is spoiler-free)



The Imitation Game tells the story of British mathematician Alan Turing as he and his colleagues work to crack the German code Enigma during World War II. The story is intriguing, though from what I’ve read many details (greater and lesser) from the true story are changed or dramatized in the movie.   

In terms of picture - color, light, cinematography - The Imitation Game is one of most beautiful movies I’ve ever seen. The quality of the storytelling, script, camera, acting, et cetera, was superb. The main characters were strong and so was the cast. Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley are two of my favorite actors and they both did particularly well in The Imitation Game.


via
Not many people besides the story’s central characters are shown, but the few short scenes  that include the Londoners during the blitz were used well to give a feel of the people. The sets were beautiful. Three different periods of Turing’s life are constantly shown throughout the film and the handling of the different times is skillfully done.

Benedict Cumberbatch’s portrayal of Alan Turing was fascinating. Turing’s mannerisms - especially his hesitant voice - were taken on so well. Cumberbatch has such a talent for playing dramatic characters; it’s a sort of joy to watch someone so good at what they do.

via
As I understand Turing as he’s depicted in The Imitation Game differs from Turing as he was in real life, everything I write here is in reference to the movie only. Turing is an interesting character and the story as it follows his character never falls old. He had difficulties understanding people; jokes, interpreting faces. There’s an interesting parallel between Turing and the machine created to crack Enigma: the machine decodes messages, the messages are there for anyone to find, but the trick is understanding them; because of his trouble reading faces, for Alan there’s no great difference between deciphering a code and understanding people. Cumberbatch plays Turing’s moods and emotions so well: his pleased smile, fear of violence, rudeness (by accident or choice). Turing’s homosexuality is mentioned a lot, perhaps more than was necessary to the story itself. Turing was brilliant and had a genius for numbers and codes. It’s true that being alone doesn’t mean one’s lonely. But people in a crowd often are, and Alan was in a crowd: a crowd of ‘normal’ people he couldn’t seem to fit into. Half the time I watched in complete admiration of Turing’s mind, and the other half aching for his confusion; he was lost in that crowd, confused and hurting.

One scene that I especially liked was when Alan as a young boy asks his friend what the difference is between code - encrypted message - and speaking - where everyone talks, and no one says what they mean. It was such a poignant insight into Alan’s mind.

I like movies that make me think, that make me interested in and want to learn about things, and Imitation Game did just that. The story is well told and interesting, the movie visually beautiful, and the acting great. But I loved Imitation Game not for its story, but for a story well told.

via
favorite line: When people talk to each other, they never say what they mean. 
They say something else and you're expected to just know what they mean. (Alan Turing)


MPPA rating: PG-13 (for some sexual references, mature thematic material and historical smoking)
Directed by
Written by  (book),  (screenplay)
Staring 
Time: 114 min
Soundtrack by Alexandre Desplat
Release year: 2014
Rating: (RT) 89%; (IMDb) 8.2/10


20 comments:

  1. I loved this movie so much! Young Alan's past was one of my favourite parts, it was very funny and sweet.
    Great review, I agree with you completely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, that's cool we agree. :) I'm glad you liked it too!

      xx

      Delete
  2. Seems like a relatively good movie, thanks for the review!

    -Max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beautifully made. Sure. :)

      xx

      Delete
  3. Really looking forward to seeing this one, Sarah! Thanks for reviewing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, I'll look out for your review! I hope you like it. :) Sure thing. :)

      xx

      Delete
  4. I love Kiera Knightly and Benedict Cumberbatch, too. ^.^ Kinda sad this didn't win Best Picture; it deserves it!

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so great. :) I know, but I'm glad it won best writing/adapted screenplay.

      xox

      Delete
  5. I've been so stoked for this movie...I can't wait to see it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see it soon then! :)

      xx

      Delete
  6. Want. To. See! :D

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s a really great post! Thank you for sharing!
    Like your blog very much!)

    p.s. new post - how I met Victoria Beckham http://www.dianacloudlet.com/2015/02/victoria-beckham-zip-pouch-met-victoria-beckham.html

    Diana Cloudlet
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I WANT TO WATCH THIS SO BAD.
    and as usual, your reviews make me want to watch them even more hahah.
    AMAZING job, as usual.

    (and i agree; benedict cumberbatch + kiera knightly + amazing cinematography = asaajkhdsjd;wdweef;')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, that makes me so happy. Thank you. :D

      "asaajkhdsjd;wdweef;'" is right. I would even go so far as to say adhauicfyetaHDG 'EHf'piadfhggeugauiyroyr89279JFDFH. ;)

      xox

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I hope you get to soon!

      xox

      Delete
  10. Hey girl I tagged you over on my blog! I hope it's one you'd like to do, I'm always on the lookout for songs that other people like. :)

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie. :) It sounds fun - I love music. :)

      xox

      Delete