Friday, January 30, 2015

This Week, Jan. 25

pictures by moi
I loved:
reading Out of the Silent Planet, by C.S. Lewis and the 'dark and stormy night' feeling of the beginning of it
clementines, they're so cute and bright
the pink flowers sitting in my room
Seaweed and The Tide Rises, The Tide Falls, by Longfellow
cadbury milk chocolate
playing/learning Go the Distance from Disney's Hercules on my violin
the Narnia audiobooks, this set, it's the best: read by Kenneth Branagh and Patrick Stewart and other exceedingly talented people

favorite song:
How God Chooses, Jon Conover

favorite quotes:
"We have a language that is full of ambiguities; we have a way of expressing ourselves that is often complex and allusive, poetic and modulated; all our thoughts can be rendered with absolute clarity if we bother to put the right dots and squiggles between the words in the right places. Proper punctuation is both the sign and the cause of clear thinking." 
from the end of Eats, Shoots & Leaves, by Lynn Truss, arguing pro-proper punctuation

"[the sudden lose of confidence] arose when the rationality of the hross (an intelligent alien species) tempted you to think of it as a man. Then it became abominable - a man seven feet high, with a snaky body, covered, face and all, with thick black animal hair, and whiskered like a cat. But starting from the other end you had an animal with everything an animal ought to have - glossy coat, liquid eye, sweet breath and whitest teeth - and added to all these, as though Paradise had never been lost and earliest dreams were true, the charm of speech and reason. Nothing could be more disgusting than the one impression; nothing more delightful than the other. It all depended on the point of view."
from Out of the Silent Planet, by C. S. Lewis 


I hope you all had a wonderful week. xx

12 comments:

  1. What gorgeous photos! I love flowers, too ♥
    Amy xx

    Perfect Imperfections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! Flowers are so lovely. :)

      xx

      Delete
  2. Your photography is getting better and better! ^.^ Narnia audiobooks? I have to check those out, including The Space Trilogy. It's been on my to do list but they kind of give off the vibe that they are adult like, and I'm nervous to venture to that area. Clementines... I actually named one of my characters that! If I have a child and it's a girl, I will probably name her that.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Morning. :) Those audiobooks are just the best, I'm sure you'd like 'em. The Space Trilogy is more 'adult', but not intimidatingly so, if that's what you mean. They're good fiction, and C.S. Lewis's descriptions are awesome. :) Clementine is such a cute name!

      xx

      Delete
  3. Ooh, a violin version of Go the Distance! That must be so fun to play!! :D

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so fun! :) I love playing Disney songs. :D

      xx

      Delete
  4. Isn't Out of the Silent Planet awesome?! I read the trilogy about two years ago, and I really enjoyed it. Tell me how you like the other books. (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! :) I'm looking forward to reading the other two when I finish Out of the Silent Planet. :) My mom says she likes the second one best, Perelandra, so that'll be fun to read.

      xx

      Delete
  5. Woah amazing photographs :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Neal. ♥

      xx

      Delete
  6. omg those flowers are beautiful!

    http://shecouldbeajoanofarc.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete