Saturday, January 17, 2015

TAK3N | Review

via
(this review is spoiler-free)

Bryan Mills is a highly trained ex-government operative. When he is falsely accused of murdering his ex-wife he sets out to find the true killer and keep his daughter safe, all whilst being hunted down by cops and enemies.

I'm not very familiar with Liam Neeson; when I went to see Taken 3 all I'd seen him in before was Non-Stop, which I didn't like but enjoyed seeing with my family, and Clash of the Titans, where he appears only a little. (edit: And Star Wars. ♥) I liked him very much in Tak3n. This may sound odd but besides all the reasons to like a great actor I like him because he smiles. I was rather surprised by it, because of the jokes on pinterest about him being someone you don't want to mess with and this being an action/spy movie. But he smiles, and it takes over his face, and it's such a sweet smile.

see? | via
What I liked: The relationships between characters: Mills and his friends, Mills and his daughter. They're likable characters. And I loved the sweet uncle relationship Mills's friends have with his daughter. The details, like how each character has their own "thing." For example, the head policeman - who I liked very much as well - always carries a knight chess piece with him. One of the last action sequences, involving an airplane being chased. How the opening credits were shown was cool. I remember thinking the music fit well.

Didn't like: There was a lot of shaky-cam used, it doesn't usually bother me but it just seemed like too much. The bad-guy is disgusting. But I'm not exactly complaining about this, evil is perverse.

I doubt I would have ever seen this movie had my brother not wanted to so much. I liked it for Liam Neeson, for the various character relationships and for the characters. There wasn't a lot else that drew me in. It's a fun action movie but not much else.

my rating: 3/5
favorite line: Don't be so pessimistic! (Mills, in response to a cop telling him he'll regret what he's doing.)


MPPA
rating: PG-13 (
intense sequences of violence and action, and for brief strong language)
Directed by
Written by , ,
Staring , ,  
Time 109 min
Release year 2015
Rating: (RT) 10%; (IMDb) 6.5/10

more reviews

17 comments:

  1. Liam Neeson is kind of awesome..Taken series doesn't do justice..Taken 1 is good 2 is bad I haven't seen 3 yet..Non-Stop is real good..so are alot of his other movies :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed: He's awesome. I'd like to see more of his movies!

      xx

      Delete
  2. This looks good, I haven't heard of it before ♥
    Amy xx

    Perfect Imperfections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was okay, but fun to see!

      xx

      Delete
  3. I love Liam Neeson (First saw him as Qui-Gon Ginn in the Star Wars: A Phantom Menace and I've enjoyed his acting ever since!) but I haven't seen the Taken series yet. I've heard the first is really good but not so much about the other two. Your review was interesting!

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's awesome! Oh, right...I always forget he plays Qui-Gon. Yeah, I've heard the first was best too.

      xx

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of Taken, I'll have to go look it up as it looks quite interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, I haven't seen the first one but from what I've heard it's the best of the series. :)

      xx

      Delete
  5. I thought the first Taken was okay, but didn't care enough about it to want to see it again. I do love Liam Neeson in other things, like Star Wars: Episode 1 and Batman Begins and Les Miserables. I also love him in Love Actually, but I can't recommend that movie in good conscience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's great in Star Wars. :) I just looked that movie up, there're a bunch of great actors in it! And a coupla my favorites. (Don't worry, it's r and has love in the title: I don't think I'll be seeing it any time soon.)

      xx

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I forgot to mention -- that's not the musical version of Les Mis that he's in, it's a (non-singing) version from the '90s with him as Jean Valjean, Geoffrey Rush as Javert, and Claire Danes as Cosette. I quite like it, and do recommend that one :-)

      Delete
    3. Cool! Oo, it was released the year I was born...it's a sign! I'll add it to meh watchlist and see if I can find someone to watch it with. :)

      xx

      Delete
    4. I now am officially old. That's the year I went to college.

      Delete
    5. Yup, graduated from high school in 1998 and went to college that fall.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love it when Neeson smiles as well. His entires faces just melts into that big grin. And I do want to watch TAK3N--thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, someone who knows what I mean! That's exactly what it does. It melts; from this jagged rocky face into into that wonderful big grin. Sure! :)

      xx

      Delete