Saturday, January 24, 2015

Paddington | Review

via
(this review is spoiler-free)

Paddington,based on the beloved book of the same name by Michael Bond, tells the story of a young Peruvian bear as he travels to London and there sets out to find a new home and family. But London is not quite what he was expecting, and finding a family and home proves harder than he'd imagined. 

I love the book A Bear Called Paddington and I very much enjoyed seeing the movie Paddington. I loved the bright, vivid colors and the imaginative, whimsical, fairy-tale like effects; and the cast, especially Ben Wishaw who voices Paddington himself - his voice is just right: soft, dignified, and lonely-pathetic - and Sally Hawkins as Mrs. Brown. I loved how Paddington's 'hard stare' was included, his defense/weapon against rude people. The movie doesn't have the same heart as the original story, and its story isn't as good as it could have been, but it's told in an entertaining and colorful way. I don't like jokes that take one out of a story by reference to something outside it (is that what 'campy' means?), not that I don't find them funny, I do, it's just they don't seem to have a place in the storytelling. The character Paddington didn't seem to have any theme music, unless it was the Mexican-sounding music that plays throughout the movie, which I honestly still don't understand the choice of. 


via
Overall, it's a pretty movie, it's funny - there're a number of laugh-out-loud instances, sweet and dear to a degree (if not to the degree of the books) and a nice hour and a half of entertainment, even if the script's story isn't as good as it could have been. Note: I usually don't mention ratings in my reviews, but I want to learn how. The villain of the story and what she threatens* to do to Paddington could easily be scary for younger kids; pg ratings mean nothing's shown, but it's the idea that creeps. I'm really not sure what my rating for this movie is, how well I liked it: I didn't much like the story, but I very much liked how Paddington was brought to life. 


my rating 3.9/5
favorite line "Beige?" "Yes, it's a calm, neutral color."

MPPA rating: PG (for mild action and rude humor)
Directed by
Written by  &  (screenplay), Michael Bond (original story)
Staring ,
Time 95 min
Release year 2014
Rating: (RT) 98%; (IMDb) 7.6/10

more reviews

* (spoilers) she's a taxidermist and attempts to use her skills on Paddington 

16 comments:

  1. How Ironic I was just about to do a paddington review too! :D Great review! I LOVED the film!
    ~Evie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I'll go check it out then if it's up. :) Thank you, Evie!

      xx

      Delete
  2. What a lovely review! I've been wanting to watch it ♥
    Amy xx

    Perfect Imperfections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! It's a cute movie and fun. :)

      xx

      Delete
  3. Nice review! Peter Capaldi is in this movie? That's cool! He's the Twelfth Doctor, so that's cool to think about.

    -Max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, he is, he plays the grumpy next-door neighbor Mr. Curry. I know, it's weird to see the Doctor without the Tardis! :)

      xx

      Delete
  4. I adore the books, and am hesitant to see the movie because, well, I'm afraid it won't live up to my expectations. So I think I'll wait and get this from Redbox or the library. I'm glad you enjoyed it well enough, tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the books too, or at least the two that I've read. :) I didn't really realize till I got to the theater that I'd built up a high expectation for the movie, I hadn't really been thinking about it, but I did nonetheless. Anyway, it wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be - mainly in terms of the story - but I did love how Paddington was brought to life, the bear himself was just as I'd imagined him, which made it all worth it for me. :)

      xx

      Delete
  5. My family was going to go see this today, but then my parents realized my brother and I were already in our pajamas, bingewatching Worst Cooks In America, so I'm not seeing it until next week. But wow, Peter Capaldi is in this? It's going to be hard to not make Doctor Who references during the movie... :P

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I know how that works. :) Yes, I know! It wasn't too distracting, but every now and then I'd notice the eyebrows and think Doctor! :)

      xx

      Delete
  6. Yay for Capaldi! I love him in DW and it'll be really nice to see him in Paddington. Was thinking of watching it the other day, but family voted for Night at the Museum 3 instead ahah. Great review as usual! Got me wanting to watch it again (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy! :) The family vote, yes. It's so nice when everyone wants to see the same movie - for me that usually means it's Marvel - and then it's a nice 100% vote all in favor. ;)

      xx

      Delete
  7. This one looks darling. When the DVD arrives, it's one I'll see. Glad you liked it okay, Sarah. Thanks for reviewing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cute. :) Sure thing! Thanks for commenting, Rissi.

      xx

      Delete
  8. Good review S -- or, hey, I didn't know your name was Sarah! I guess I should start calling you that! :D Anyway, I'm glad you liked the movie alright. I think my lack of interest must have to do with not having been familiar with the character before, but I'm glad it's good for the fans. I didn't know Peter Capaldi was in it, that's cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Yeah. :) I doubt I'd be much interested either if I hadn't read the book (it is a really cute/sweet/dear book though if you ever want something like that to read - the first one especially). It was fun to see Twelve. :D

      xx

      Delete