Thursday, November 27, 2014

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides | review

via
(spoiler-free)

The fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie's plot focuses on a race between the British, Spanish, and pirate Blackbeard to reach the fabled Fountain of Youth. Captain Jack Sparrow, having come to London to set straight rumors of his recruiting a ship's crew to sail for the fountain, and to rescue his first mate Gibbs, is tricked onto Blackbeard's ship; and Gibbs onto the British ship, captained by Barbossa, where both are forced to act as guides. 


Woven into this are subplots concerning Jack's past relationship and love affair with pirate and former almost-nun Angelica; Angelica's hope to have the father she never had and to find redemption for his soul; and a romance between two entirely new characters: Philip, a captured missionary, and Syrena, a mermaid. Philip is sort of a replacement for Will Turner, he's the new good-guy non-pirate. Syrena reminded me of the The Little Mermaid fairy tale, which was kinda cool.

via
I like the POTC movies for two main reasons: one half for Johnny Depp and one half for Hans Zimmer's music. The soundtrack for On Stranger Tides echos the music from the earlier films a lot and so didn't sound as original to me, except for the mermaids' theme, which I loved, but it's still awesome and brings so much energy to the movie. The mermaids are seriously creepy and the camera angles used for their scenes were nicely chosen to enhance this. (Just a note on the mermaids, the movie is rated pg-13 for sexual content/nudity, etc. and the mermaids, um, don't wear tops like Ariel does, just hair.) The fight/action scenes are good fun, especially the ones with Sparrow. The Hawaiian scenery is really pretty. I liked Philip and Syrena, and it was fun to see Robbie Kay (from OUAT). 

via
The first POTC movie is my favorite, the second two I like just for Johnny Depp and the music (the third felt bloated and messy); I like this fourth one pretty well, better than the third and possibly better than the second. I agree with what one reviewer on IMDb said, which was basically that, 'If you're looking for a good time going into the movie, you'll most likely get it.' 


my rating: 4/5
favorite line: (Jack) Did everyone see that? Because I will not be doing it again. 




MPPA rating: PG-13 (for sexual content/nudity, language and some violence)
Directed by  
Screenplay by  , 
Staring
Time 136 min
Soundtrack by Hans Zimmer
Release year 2011
Rating: (RT) 33%; (IMDb) 6.7/10

( more reviews )


~~~
Happy Thanksgiving! I hope y'all had (or are having) a great day.

11 comments:

  1. That is also my favorite line! I'm still waiting to use it in real life myself...but I don't really lead a life, so it's still waiting to be used. XD Nice review; while I didn't care for this one as much as the other three, I still found it enjoyable. Captain Jack is worth seeing in any time, anywhere! :D

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Yeah, I'm waiting for an opportunity to use it too. The other line that I was debating whether or not to put up there was when Jack says, "You lied to me by telling me the truth?" "Yes." "That's very good. May I use that?"

      Thanks, Jamie. :) Yeah, Captain Jack Sparrow is just fun. :)

      xx

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see this movie. :) Captain Jack Sparrow is awesome. :)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be fun to watch it together. :)

      xx

      Delete
  3. What a lovely review, I've never seen any of The Pirates of the Caribbean. :)
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Amy xx

    Perfect Imperfections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy. :) You too, have a great weekend! <3

      xx

      Delete
  4. I thought the third one was so long and boring! But I really liked the fourth one! I liked the new characters .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the new characters too, especially Philip & Serena. :) Plus, Captain Jack Sparrow is always fun to see. :)

      xx

      Delete
  5. I do not like this movie. I am disappointed that so many people approve of it. The mermaid content is totally inappropriate for any age group. Even if most movies these days are bad does not mean that makes them acceptable. I would not mind feedback and discussion. I don't want to be unpleasent but I feel compelled to speak about this.

    "All it takes for Evil to win is for good people to do nothing."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good review. It's an okay movie to say the least. However, we don't really need anymore Pirate movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, I know what you mean. But they're still fun and the music is awesome and Johnny Depp is great, so I enjoyed it.

      xx

      Delete