Sunday, November 30, 2014

In November

via
books:

  • *The Black Arrow, by Robert Louis Stevenson - Do you ever come upon a book you used to love, pick it up, and read it all through in one sitting? Yeah, that.
  • The Miracle of Thinking Big, by David J. Schwartz (audio book) - I really enjoyed listening to this book, offering advice and ideas for success in all areas of life.  
  • The Little White Bird, by James M. Barrie - It's a strange book, not so much as a dream is strange as as a person is strange. But here's a quote from it, to show you what part of it I liked: I lunged gaily with my stick at a lamppost and missed it, whereat a street-urchin grinned, and I winked at him and slipped two-pence down his back. I was surprised by how much of the book tells about Peter Pan, who isn't the protagonist of the story. 
  • The Lion in the Gateway, by Mary Renault - Called so because the Spartan king who led the legendary three hundred Spartans and held the pass of Thermopylae was named Leonidas, which means 'lion.' The book tells the story of the Greeks as they fought against the mighty army of the Persian king Xerxes. Here's quote from the book, given by an Athenian leader before the defining battle of Salamis: In every man, [...] there are two men. One bass, one noble. And we shape our lives as we choose between them. The easy choice looks cheap, but the man defeated pays as long as lives. While he who chooses to be brave and risk the price of it will live with honor or die with glory, seeing his sons inherit freedom and bow to man but the gods. And this, [...] is our choice today.

movies & tv:

  • *Lilo and Stitch - This movie is just so sweet. "This, is my family. I found it...all on my own. It is broken, but good. Yeah, good."
  • Secret of the Wings - Didn't care for this one.
  • Big Hero 6 - It's such a sweet story.
  • Tinkerbell -  I was surprised by how much I liked this movie. It has a good story working for it. 
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - I do like Philip and Syrena. 
  • The Great Fairy Rescue - It was sweet, but not one I'd watch again. 
  • Tinkerbell and the Lost Treasure - I liked this one a lot and its story of friendship. 

  • Doctor Who (one episode) - Still not a fan of season eight.
  • Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - I'm rather surprised by the extent to which violence and gore is shown on, more now than in the last season. It's unnecessary and rather revolting. I love Coulson & co. but I'm losing interest in Agents. 
  • Once Upon a Time - I really enjoy this show; the characters really make it for me.
  • Bewitched (about two episodes)
  • Gilligan's Island (about two episodes)
  • old Disney cartoons: Mickey, Donald, Chip 'n' Dale - Here's a favorite.
*read/watched before


I hope you all had a great November and especially a happy Thanksgiving (to those of you who are american). As I didn't get to make a list on Thanksgiving day, here are five things I'm grateful for: my parents (an awesome & beautiful mom who doesn't mind staying up till the wee hours watching POTC with me when she sees I "need it" and a dad who always listens and has great advice); fantastic siblings (I mean, sure, they're annoying at times, but I love them); home school; Disneyland; and stories which inspire me to write and think better each day.


Thanks again to all of you for your comments, they truly make my day. :) What movies and books did you like especially in November? 

I like peppermint mochas. (<- Random note.) 

18 comments:

  1. What a nice post, I love posts like this where you can catch up with your favorite bloggers. :)
    Amy xx

    Perfect Imperfections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. :) I like lists and I like this kinda post too so it's all good. :)

      xx

      Delete
  2. Haha, I love peppermint mochas too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so good! Thanks for commenting, Vanshi (I love your name, btw :)).

      xx

      Delete
  3. Love this, and peppermint mochas. Mmmm.

    Books/movies I loved this past month? Movies: Mockingjay Part 1 and Shadowlands. Books: The Fairest Beauty by Melanie Dickerson and These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they lovely?! ;) And thanks. :)

      I just looked up Shadowlands , do you mean the 1993 movie about C.S.Lewis? That one looks interesting. I haven't heard of those two books, but it sounds like you liked 'em. :)

      xx

      Delete
  4. Have you ever read 'Dune'? It is one awesome book series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so I just looked up Dune and it looks like some really cool sci-fi. I'll have to show it to my mom....

      xx

      Delete
  5. 2 things: thing 1, don't forget you should read the Little Minister!! thing 2, just an idea, you could add new favorite music from the month as well. one more thing: you will like Prof Bloedow 'cause he tells us all about the Greeks. :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) Yes, I have that one on my mental "to read" list. It's weird though, I haven't had much interest in fantasy lately, I've just felt like I should read history/educational-in-general books, if you know what I mean. But I will at some point.
      2) I could, I've actually thought about it before; the thing is I tend to listen to the same music all year round with an occasional new song thrown in ever so often, so, I'm not sure how that's work out. :/
      3) I'm sure I will. :D

      xx

      Delete
    2. 1) it's not fantasy though, ya know
      2) it could be a quarterly post or something ;)

      Delete
    3. 1) I didn't know that. Cool. :)
      2) It could....

      Delete
  6. Lovely post! Such a cute fox drawing too! :)

    xx Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kenzie. :) Isn't he sweet?! I think I'm going to call him Freddie. :)

      xx

      Delete
  7. What did you think of Bewitched?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's cute, that's the only reason I watch it: every now and then my little sister and I want to watch something 'happy' together so we'll watch that. There isn't much of a plot or anything, just the characters. The temperamental relationship between the two main characters gets old, but it's always resolved by the end of each episode. Over all though it's a cute show. :)

      xx

      Delete
  8. Aw, I'm so glad I was able to read another of your posts! I've been so busy, but your posts are always refreshing and fun. :)
    I really liked The Black Arrow, and there are a ton of those types of books in my life! I love reliving those stories.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much, Christina! :) *falls into happy puddle*
      Oo, you like The Black Arrow too! That 'type' of book is a great type. :)

      xx

      Delete