Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Big Hero 6 | Review


Big Hero 6 Japanese Poster-- HELP ME! I didn't know if I should list this movie in my Super Hero (it's Marvel), otaku (it was influenced by anime), or Disney boards! Hard to classify XD
via
(this review is spoiler-free)


Fourteen your old tech genius Hiro and his older brother Tadashi live with their guardian-aunt Cass in the upper story of her Lucky Cat Cafe in San Fransokyo. Having graduated from high school at the age of thirteen Hiro is content participating in illegal bot fight betting and enjoying the spoils of winning. But his brother Tadashi wants a better life for him, saying his gift could be used for great things. Tadashi brings Hiro to the 'nerd lab' of his school and Hiro, to his brother's satisfaction, instantly becomes infatuated with the desire to go to The San Fransokyo Institute of Technology. While at the nerd lab Tadashi shows his brother the pride of his work, Baymax, a robot heath care provider. I like to tell as little of the plot as possible so I'll stop here. 



via
There are three things I like a movie or tv series for: characters, imagination, and quality. Though Big Hero 6 has all of these the one I like it for especially was its characters. Tadashi, Hiro, Cass, Baymax. Baymax is a robot, but Tadashi programmed him with his same selfless and loving concern for the welfare of others. Baymax is the glue of the story line, heart of many moments, and cause of some great humor throughout the film. At the beginning of the movie Hiro is self-serving, but near the end there's a great moment when an earlier action of Tadashi is exactly mirrored by Hiro, displaying his newly found heroism like that of the hero he loved. 

As I understand, Big Hero 6 was inspired by the Asian Marvel comic series of the same name first released in 1998. The story and setting of the movie is different from the original, particularly in that the movie is set in 'San Fransoky,' a fictional mix of Tokyo and San Francisco. Watching the movie and knowing nothing of the comics the mix of Eastern and Western cultures seemed uncalled for but it was cool. It would have been neat to see it as set simply in Japan, but I loved it as it is. I loved the animation. The music is pretty (I'm listening to it now), though I don't remember particularly noticing that I liked it while watching the movie. The voice cast was good, Daniel Henney and Ryan Potter as Tadashi and Hiro were especially great. The single point of the story which felt like it'd 'jumped' was how the villain became the villain.

Don't forget to stay to the very end of the credits (as all good Marvel fans do); there's something there waiting for you. ;) (Check out this great review of Big Hero 6 by Ruth A.


my rating: 4.4/5
favorite line: (Tadashi) I am satisfied with my care.



MPPA rating: PG (for action and peril, some rude humor, and thematic elements)
Directed by , 
Writers  
Staring
Time 102 min
Soundtrack by Henry Jackman
Release year 2014
Rating: (RT) 89%; (IMDb) 8.4/10

( more reviews )

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like such a cute movie! Thank you for the review!
    I've really gotta watch this movie:)
    June
    The Journeys of My Beating Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was - and sweet! Sure. :) I've been realizing my reviews of movies I see in theaters tend to get published & finished after the movies are out of theaters so I'm gonna try to fix that and write 'em faster. :)

      xx

      Delete
  2. I've heard lots of great things about this movie and will be renting it as soon as it pops into Redbox :))

    See me at Curious Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I hope you like it! :)

      xx

      Delete
  3. I went into the movies yesterday thinking this would be a stupid movie like that snail thing (it was called Turbo, I think); I came out in love with the characters and story. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it more than I'd expected to too, I'm glad you ended up liking it, Jordy. :) I loved the characters. :)

      xx

      Delete
  4. Good review S! I want to see this so bad, and meant to see it before Mockingjay, but didn't, and now I don't know when I'll get the time... would you say it's definitely worth seeing in theaters? I'm glad you liked it. I feel like there's no chance that I won't -- I already love Baymax just from the trailer! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Yeah, Baymax is adorable. :) And thanks. :) It was great to see it in theaters (most movies look best on the big screen) but is wasn't one that really needs to be seen there (like Gravity), though the animation is really good and you can see it better - of course - the bigger the screen is. If you get the chance to see it in theaters, I would. But it'd be great either way. :)

      xx

      Delete
  5. I've heard so many great things about this movie! Thanks for doing this review! Big Hero 6 sounds like a very cute and family-friendly movie(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really sweet story (though there is one sad part) and I love it. I bet you'll like it. :)

      xx

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Amy. :)

      xx

      Delete
  7. I've heard so much about the movie, thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool; and you're welcome. :)

      xx

      Delete
  8. This looks so cute! I'll have to find a way to get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really sweet story. :)

      xx

      Delete