Thursday, October 09, 2014

thoughts


I’m reading a book called Philposophy 101 by Socrates, by Peter Kreeft. Here're some thoughts I came upon reading it today.


For to fear death, gentlemen, is only to think you are wise when you are not; for it is to think you know what you don’t know. No one knows whether death is really the greatest blessing a man can have, but they fear it is the greatest curse, as if they knew it well. Surely this is the objectionable kind of ignorance, to think one knows what one does not know? (from Plato’s Apology)

Socrates argues that to fear death is unwise, because no man knows - whatever he hopes or believes - what it is, whether it is perhaps the greatest blessing or greatest curse. The assumption of his argument is that we should not fear the unknown. There is, of course, the thought that life is good, a known good, and as the author of the book I’m reading says, “Fear of a known loss of a known good does not seem unwise.” The ‘known loss’ being death, and ‘known good’ being life. 

But what I thought was neat is that Socrates assumes that we should not fear the unknown. That seems the opposite of human nature: that man fears what he does not understand, does not know. What if we didn't fear the unknown? 

Maybe what a love of learning is is simply the loving of the unknown.


What do you think?
xx




p.s. Do you all like quotes? Would you like a quote every week or something?

20 comments:

  1. That is certainly something to think about... And yes, a weekly quote would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! yes! I love love love quotes :) A weekly quote would definitely be a plus :) As for the quote hmm.. it's really interesting, and something to ponder about...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute picture! :)

    catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? Every time I look at it I think "nerd rabbit." ;)

      xx

      Delete
  4. I'm obsessed with quotes so yes do it!

    Also, I really loved this post. Its something I really needed to hear this week. I've always struggled with fear, and especially fear of death and the unknown. It terrifies me to no end. But I know I need to let go of that fear and be okay with things I can't change. The unknown doesn't have to be frightening. Thank you for that reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'kay. :)

      I'm so glad if it was helpful to you. xox

      xx

      Delete
  5. Yes yes yes! Quotes are my fave.

    You always find such cute/pretty artwork to go with your posts. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) haha Thanks, Hannah. :) Pinterest is lovely. ;)

      xx

      Delete
  6. hmm. well that's sort of what he's saying in a way...(we just did the Apology last week ;)
    It will be fun talking Plato when I'm back for Christmas. :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, you "did the Apology last week," did you? :D "Sort of what he's saying in a way," what would you say he's saying? I mainly was interested in what he assumes. It's interesting what different people assume, it can say a lot about the way they think.
      Yes, it will. :) Though I think I like Aristotle best.

      xx

      Delete
  7. Yes, You have no idea who I am... But I just wanted to say that "Death" when seen from a Christian standpoint, could in fact be a great blessing, I'm not saying I would love to die, Just that, if you're a christian, you should have no fear of death, because it leads to greater life in Christ.

    -Max

    http://gingergraphs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Well, it's nice to met you, Max. :) But yes, I agree. And I am a Christian. :)

      xx

      Delete
    2. I just read your Bucket List, and I just wanted to say that I have, in fact been, on a movie set, co-directed a movie, and been an extra in a movie. I'm not trying to boast. I just thought that might be interesting to you...

      -Max

      Delete
    3. Yeah, no. That is so so cool! :D

      xx

      Delete
  8. Yes, the quotes sound great! And that picture is simply adorable... :)
    I love your writing style for your posts; I was just reading a few and they really made my day!

    -Jubilee

    hellostrawberrie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! haha Isn't it cute?! :)

      Thanks so much, Jubilee, and I really appreciate you saying that. <3

      xx

      Delete