Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Rise of the Guardians | review


(this review is spoiler-free)

The Guardians are an immortal group dedicated to bringing joy to children and to protecting their hopes, beliefs, and imagination all over the world. The Guardians include Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny (Hugh Jackman), the Sandman, and the Tooth Fairy. Jack Frost (Chris Pine) is a coupla hundred years old teenager who spends his time playing tricks and throwing snowball fights. But he’s alone: invisible to the children with whom he spends his time. The first thing Jack remembers ever seeing is the moon, big and bright. The moon, or the Man in the Moon, gave Jack his powers and told him his name, but he hasn’t said anything else, not for three hundred years. And Jack is left to wonder what his purpose is, and who and why he is.


Three days before Easter the Guardians are threatened by their old enemy the Boogeyman, Pitch Black. He has returned after hundreds of years determined to make himself believed in. Pitch loved the Dark Ages, a time when “everyone was so afraid,” and he has now perfected a powerful weapon: the art of turning dreams into nightmares. Three days before Easter Jack is forcefully brought to the north pole where he is told by the Guardians that he has been chosen as a new Guardian to help them fight Pitch; that he has been chosen by the man in the moon.


The actors who voice the different characters were well chosen. The movie is visually delightful, one example of this being the animation of frost growing and lacing. There’s beautiful imagery throughout the film of light versus dark; fear versus hope. Perhaps the plot of Guardians sounds too random and bizarre to work, but when you watch it's not. It's a clever story and understanding tale of the need to know who one is and what one's purpose is and is full of relatable and dear characters. The imagery in the movie tells a story of "the light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it (John 1:5),” and it's beautiful and wonderful. I loved the theme and idea of finding your 'centre.' Alexandre Desplat wrote a beautiful soundtrack for the movie; some especially beautiful songs are Alone in the World (Jack Frost’s theme), Calling the Guardians, and Still Dream, performed by Renee Fleming. The movie is honestly funny, the humor never rude or crude: imagine on a snowy Easter night hearing cries of “merry Christmas” and “don’t forget to floss” whilst watching Christmas presents drop onto beds; imagine the Easter bunny: six-foot-one, nerves of steel, a master of tai-chi....

Rise of the Guardians is a good story, dear movie, beautifully told. It feels like Christmas - that's a complement. I’d definitely recommend it. It's one I'd love to see over and over again and want to watch with my favorite people (you know what I mean).



Time 97 min
Soundtrack by Alexandre Desplat
Release year 2012
Rating: (RT) 81%; (IMDb) 7.3/10





my rating 5/5
favorite line "I do believe in you. I'm just not afraid of you."


20 comments:

  1. Rise of the Guardians surprised me by how good it was. The first two acts are my favorite parts of the movie, since it managed to be mostly mature in those parts, although the third act was a bit disappointing. Otherwise, very fun movie, and Hugh Jackman was a lot of fun!

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it, James! :) I guess I'll have to watch it again (for the third time) to be more critical, I was enjoying it too much the first two times to be so, but I think I know what you mean. I appreciated the maturity too, when it was present. Yeah, Hugh Jackman was great! :D

      xx

      Delete
  2. <3
    Now I need to see that movie again!

    being-hidden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great!

      Thanks for leaving your blog link, I'll go check it out. :)

      xx

      Delete
  3. I love this movie. First time I watched it, it got on my list of favourite movies. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kat. :) It's a great movie.

      xx

      Delete
  4. I didn't get much out of this movie, but I'm glad you did! I did think the cast of voices was very good. :) Good review, SW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the voices were good - I liked Jude Law as Pitch particularly. Aw, I'm sorry you didn't like it so much. Thanks so much, Sarah!

      xx

      Delete
    2. Yeah, he was my favorite as well. :D

      Delete
  5. I love this movie! In fact, I'm watching it right now as I'm typing this on HBO! :)

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, really?! Cool. :) So glad you like it too, Morning. :)

      xx

      Delete
  6. Is it wrong that I haven't seen this movie yet? :') It sounds interesting, though! :)

    MJ // www.littlepandacrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I hadn't seen it till a coupla weeks ago. :) It's a sweet movie. :)

      xx

      Delete
  7. This movie was awesome! Pitch is my favorite character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it too! :) He's an interesting character, I think Jude Law did a great job voicing him.

      xx

      Delete
  8. So I watched it and oh my goodness! it really is that good! The Bunny & Sandy & Jack were all awesome characters, and I loved the idea of finding your center, and best of all I loved that it was the moon, cause I love the moon. ;) (it's actually very cool symbolically)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good. You did see it. :) I loved that too, that was my favorite theme of the movie, and the moment when Jack found his was just perfection. (When he threw the snowball at Pitch.) I'm so so glad you liked it, Hannah <3

      xx

      Delete
  9. I'm sold! I'll keep my eye out for this. I remember when it came out and the trailer didn't interest me much, but your review makes it sound quite fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't drawn by the trailer either but my little sister really [really] wanted to watch it, so we did. I really did like it (my whole family did, actually), and I hope you get a chance to watch it sometime...it could be a Christmas movie, what with Santa Claus and all, but more particularly for the themes running through the story.

      xx

      Delete