Friday, September 19, 2014

Captain Blood 1935 Review



(this review is spoiler -free)

Rated NR
Director  
Time 119 min 
Release year 1935
Soundtrack Erich Wolfgang Korngold


This review is specially for Hamlette's Piratical Blogathon. You can follow that link to find other entries for this pirate-y affair. Also, happy Talk Like a Pirate day! 

In 17th century England, Peter Blood (Errol Flynn) is an Irish doctor. One night while preforming his duties as a physician for a rebel of the Monmouth Rebellion, he is arrested and charged with high treason for aiding the rebellion and is sold into slavery at the English colony Port Royal. There he is bought by the military commander's beautiful niece who, to better his chances, recommends him to the local governor, who is suffering from gout, as his personal doctor. Blood eventually escapes with his fellow slaves and becomes a very successful pirate. 


Captain Blood
via
Apparently Flynn's performance in Captain Blood is what led him to major stardom and becoming a symbol of "an unvanquished man" during the DepressionI just looked up Captain Blood's rating on Rotten Tomatoes, it has one hundred percent there. One hundred percent, people. I mean, wow. That never happens. haha The film is not rated; but if any of you are wondering, I would guess it would have been given PG. The violence is very mild and there's no smut.

When I was little my family almost always watched movies all together (except when my mom and brother watched movies together in secret) and usually at dinner. I remember one night sitting at the dining room table watching Captain Blood for the first time, I've seen it a couple of times since. I remember the tingle of excitement I felt as, in the opening sequence, a man on horse galloped to warn Dr. Blood that the soldiers were coming; the feeling of helplessness when he was arrested. I loved the duels and the escapes, and found Captain Blood himself dashing, daring, and  handsome. I guess my tastes have changed, I liked the movie better when I was younger, but I haven't forgotten how much I loved it once.  



my rating 3.8 / 5
favorite line Good morning, Uncle.


24 comments:

  1. Such amazing review! Every so often, I like to watch classical movies. This is will be on my viewing list to watch next time!:)
    June<3
    The Journeys' of my beating heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks June! If you like watching old classic movies every so often I'd definitely recommend this one. :)

      xx

      Delete
  2. Ahoy! I'd had no idea that was what this movie be about! I knew it had Errol Flynn and pirates, but nothing else. I be bumping this up me to-watch list now. Thanks fer signing on fer this blogathon! Arrrrrrrrrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, it was fun to do! I look forward to reading the other participants' posts. :) Oh, really? Well, I hope you enjoy it when you watch it - I'm sure you will. :) (btw, I like your pirate accent.)

      xx

      Delete
  3. Captain Blood is a movie that I should get around to watching at some point. I have heard of it as the other Errol Flynn adventure after Robin Hood. Great review! I reviewed the Princess Bride for the Blogathon. :)

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should. haha I think I like it better than his Robin Hood actually. Cool! I love Princess Bride...I'll go over and read your review now. :) Thanks, James!

      xx

      Delete
  4. I love this movie! I'm always up for a Flynn/de Haviland flick, and I've had a huge hankering to re-watch this movie...plus, I posted about Arabella for the pirate blog party :D The book is good, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because I just read your post two minutes ago - I'm not joking! :) I hadn't really realized there's a book, I'm glad to hear it's good. Thanks for commenting, Hayden!

      xx

      Delete
  5. What a sweet reminiscent! I watched this once quite awhile ago but I remember it being enjoyable. I'm not sure if I would want to see it again though; I suppose I would take that time to rewatch Robin Hood instead. :P

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Flynn's Robin Hood since I was really little...that might be fun to see again.... :)

      xx

      Delete
  6. I saw this movie! It was so good. :)

    catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, cool! I'm so glad you liked it, Amy!

      xx

      Delete
  7. I'll admit, I loved this movie better when I was younger as well, but it's still a good movie. Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland are always so perfect together. And I'm extremely fond of the Error Flynn/Basil Rathbone sword fight on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked them together too. That sword fight was definitely my favorite part when I was little! :) Thanks for commenting!

      xx

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. They can be so great. :)

      xx

      Delete
  9. This took me back to the Saturday afternoon matinee when I first saw Captain Blood as a child. I still love it. I recently read and reviewed 'Lorna Doone', which takes place partially during the Monmouth Rebellion... I had forgotten that Captain Blood did, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, cool. :) I hadn't realized those stories happened at the same time. If you want to leave your link I'd love to read your review! I haven't read Lorna Doone...my sister thinks I should.... :)

      xx

      Delete
  10. I've never heard of this one, but I love older movies, so I'll definitely watch it now! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, Hannah! I hope you enjoy it. :) Thanks for commenting!

      xx

      Delete
  11. Enjoyed your review! I haven't seen this for a while...but it's most definitely a great swashbuckling selection for the pirate party! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heidi. It sure is swashbuckling! :)

      xx

      Delete
  12. I've been really wanting to watch some Erroll Flynn movies but wasn't sure where to start - but now I do! Thank you so much for bringing this movie to my attention! It sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, Hannah. It's really fun. :) I hope you enjoy it. :)

      xx

      Delete