Thursday, August 21, 2014

Peter Pan 2003 Review


via


(this review is spoiler -free)

Rated  PG for adventure action sequences and peril (MPAA)
Director   
Time 113 min 
Release year 2003
Soundtrack James Newton Howard


Peter Pan (2003) tells the well known story of Peter and Wendy. It is based on J. M. Barrie's play and book of the same name. The movie stays fairly close to the book, with a few exceptions. I reread the book and was impressed by the fact that almost every spoken line in this movie is a direct quote from it. But the really wonderful thing is how this movie carries the same fierce, wonderful, spirit that makes the book so loved.

All children grow up, except one. No. 27 is the home of Mr and Mrs Darling, their three children Wendy, John, and Micheal, and the Saint Bernard Nana, the children's nurse. One night Wendy wakes in her bed to find Nana barking at a strange boy. The boy jumps out the window to get away from the dog and the window slams behind him, cutting off his shadow. A few nights later Wendy again wakes, she sits up in bed and again sees the boy, this time sitting on the floor holding a shadow in one hand, crying. She asks: Boy, why are you crying? Nana, tied up outside, was this time unable to fend off the strange boy, the one boy who never grew up.

via
The story was told enchantingly. The narrator, the colors, the costumes. The imagination and magic of it all was wonderful. The CGI was rather noticeable at times but it wasn't bad. I liked the music by James Newton Howard very much; I noticed multiple times while watching the movie how beautiful and fitting it was. My two favorite songs were Flying and Please Don't Die. The cast was excellently chosen, especially Peter, Wendy, Mrs Darling, and Slightly. Peter was perfect and his smile crooked and cocky and gleeful, perfect for thimbles from right-hand corners. I loved the "I believe in fairies" scene, and how Neverland was attached to Peter and changed according to how he felt.

via
"Mother and Father are fighting again," quoth the lost boy Tootles. Wendy found Peter fascinating, yet deficient, because he was only a boy. She believed that there was something greater than fighting and flying but did not know what it was and believed that grown ups did, or at least that it became clearer when you grew up. Peter did not understand this and was frightened by her with her thought. He did not understand why she had to ruin everything by wishing to grow up. Part of the story of Peter Pan is his invariable forgetfulness. I think he was afraid of forgetting. But for the moment that the parting with Wendy and the rest lasted he accepted it and left worrying to grownups. He's given, for a brief moment, the understanding that the one joy he could not have was indeed a good thing. Perhaps that sounds sad, but I don't think Peter found it so. For he wanted always to be a boy and to have fun, and he would, in the Neverland.

my rating 4.9/5
favorite line To live would be an awfully big adventure.


(spoilers) I loved when Peter and Wendy danced in the tree tops. And the moment when Hook and Peter fight near the end and all the moments after that until Hook falls to the crocodile. (end of spoilers)

Click here for more reviews.

10 comments:

  1. My little brother loved this movie we when were kids, and he watched it over and over and over again, so I actually hated it. I even hid the DVD of it once, haha. :P I have not seen the movie in years, so I don't have much to say about it though.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny. :D I remember that happening in my family with various movies, particularly Music Man which my brother got pretty tired of and hid. He eventually forgot where he'd put it and it was lost for years. lol

      xx

      Delete
  2. I think Peter Pan is one of my favorite(st) fictional characters of all time :D I haven't watched this movie before, but I did watch the Once Upon a Time's version of Neverland and loved loveddd it.

    Andd just wanted to let you know that you're the number 1 place I check for unbiased, amazing movies/book/tv series reviews :))) Keep it up, dear! xxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, he's one of my favorite fictional characters too. Ooh, I really liked the Once upon a Time Neverland. It was so different and interesting how they changed around the story to make it fit with everything else. I really liked Pan too, or at least the actor that played him, Robbie Kay. :)

      I think there's a good chance you'd really like this adaption of Peter Pan, you liking Neverland and all.


      Thank you so much! That is so, so sweet of you to say. Now I feel great. haha I'm going to remember that whenever I need encouragement. Thanks girl. I'll do my best.

      xx

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THIS MOVIE! I was obsessed with it when it came out. I had the biggest crush on Peter Pan. This version is so good too. So much like the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you love it too. :) It really is like the book, I was impressed by how much like and loved it even more on that account.

      xx

      Delete
  4. Hi S.W! I nominate you for a liebster award! Its over here-> http://weezasjournal.blogspot.com/2014/08/award.html
    -xoxo
    June

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me very happy :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I have not wasted my time. <3

      xx

      Delete