Monday, August 04, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy | Review


via

(This review is spoiler-free. Links are to songs.)

Rated  PG-13 (for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and for some language MPAA)
Staring  Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan, Djimon Hounsou, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close, Benicio del Toro
Director  James Gunn
Time 122 min
Soundtrack Tyler Bates


Around 8:30 pm on Friday, August 1st, I called my brother asking him to come pick me up from work. A few minutes later he drove up in his cute new little red car and I got in, commenting on his nice ride, and asked if I remembered correctly that he had said there was a nine o'clock showing of Guardians. "It's eight-thirty," I said. And he said: "Right!" Driving to the theater I had to lean forward every now and then to wipe the fog off the inside of the dashboard. I noticed my brother fiddling with something in his hand and suddenly the small space inside the car was filled with vibrations of "Who-gha cuck-ah, who-gha chuck-ah, who-gha who-gha cuck-ah chuck-ah cuck-ah ." I sighed. Gave in, and sang along diligently. I [insert loud thumps]'m hooked on a feeling; I'm high in believing....


via
26 years after being abducted from Earth, Peter Quill gets into trouble, suddenly finding himself the target of a manhunt initiated by Ronan, one of the most powerful and fearful beings in the galaxy. As he gets deeper into trouble he becomes fast friends with two thugs, an assassin, and a maniac whose original purposes were to a, rob him, b, sell him for bounty, and c, kill him. The new and shaky team which they become struggles to avoid Ronan, finally and reluctantly realizing that they must face and conquer him if they wish to save the galaxy. The galaxy which they happen to live in. 

My favorite piece of the whole movie is contained in the first seven minutes. It displays easily and humorously the personality of the main character, Peter Quill.  The moment and image when the Guardians of the Galaxy logo comes onto the screen is priceless. But the first parts of the movie being my favorite isn't to say that the movie has a downward slope, though the minutes - about ten - after those first seven were a bit slow. The movie is full of small moments, moments that exhibit humor and heart, and even tell us a little about the backgrounds of characters.


via
Peter Quill is a Terran, an american, and a thief. But he's also more than that. And he constantly talks about people, music, and movies from Earth and uses terran hand signs, all of which is lost on beings who simply don't understand. (Well, one did.) These things keep him connected to Earth and provide a touchstone of relation and understanding for viewers. The character cast of a raccoon and Groot, his houseplant-slash-muscle, an assassin, maniac, and thief is perfectly balanced. The understanding between the raccoon and Groot reminded me of that between Han Solo and Chewy. Guardians constantly reminded me of both Star Wars and Indiana Jones, which is in no way a bad thing, in my mind. Groot is the sort of unashamed heart of the company, though not much sentiment is expressed by him.

If you've seen the trailer than you know it's full of golden music from the 70s and 80s. That music is entwined in the movie and not only supplies an entertaining soundtrack but also has an element of importance to the plot. That it is mixed with the plot allows the music to be humorous without mocking people, custom, or sentiment. The music makes a story set in faraway galactic places warm and fun-filled. 


via
When Guardians started I didn't realize at first that it had; I thought it was another trailer. (The same thing happened when watching Days of Future Past.) The movie feels a little long at times but overall maintains a steady balance. The climax of Guardians which is followed closely by the ending is awesome, hilarious, and fully satisfying. The ending of the movie, something I always count immensely important, is good. Guardians left just enough open and raised just enough interesting questions for a sequel, so that when the screen went black and then filled with the words, "the guardians of the galaxy will return," I was quite happy.

It's easy to understand why someone wouldn't like Guardians. Some people will get it and some won't. But for those that do get it, it's such a treat.

As always with Marvel movies, remember to stay to the end of the credits. I didn't 'get' the last aftercredits scene but the first, it's one of my favorite scenes period.


favorite line I'm distracting you, you turd-blossom! 
my rating 4 / 5



20 comments:

  1. Great review, I'm so glad you liked it! I agree, the opening of this movie with it's introduction to Peter's personality was FANTASTIC. When I saw it I got the hugest grin on my face and subsequently Peter is my favorite character from the film (along with Groot.) (I also didn't get the very last after credit scene.)

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jamie! I loved it, I'm glad you did too. That opening scene was fabulous - I had a very large grin on my face while watching it too, and I love the song played during it. :)


      xx

      Delete
  2. I just saw it tonight! I didn't realize the movie had started either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too? It was kinda weird about not realizing the movie had started.... I hope you had a very fun time watching it Sarah! :)


      xx

      Delete
  3. Cannot wait to see the movie for myself!

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have an awesome viewing of it James! (I know you'll enjoy it a lot.) :D


      xx

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good movie. :)

    catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very fun. :) Thanks for commenting Amy!


      xx

      Delete
  5. Wow, sounds pretty good! My brother couldn't stop talking about how bad the trailer looked when it first came out, but he still wants to see it XD So we'll be seeing it eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely very fun. :) Haha, that's funny. I hope you get to see it sometime soon, and I hope you like it. :)


      xx

      Delete
  6. Awesome! Great review SW!! We listened to songs from the soundtrack on our way to see it too. :D The whole movie was full of awesomeness, but all the scenes that featured the songs had an extra kick, didn't they? Especially the title sequence. I couldn't stop grinning. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! :) Those songs from the 70s & 80s are awesome! They sure did, and I loved it when songs came on that I already knew so I could sing along to them mentally. :D That title sequence was my favorite part - that and the scene when "Ooo Child" is played. :D


      xx

      Delete
  7. OH MY STARS I wANT TO WATCH THIS SO BAD it's like on top of my list now hahah

    thanks for the review! it's amazing, and just makes me want to watch it even even more xxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I sure hope you get to see it soon, I bet you'll love it! :) Thanks Lizzy, you're sweet. :)


      xx

      Delete
  8. This movie was SO good!
    Great review. I went to see it with some friends, then my parents went, and I told my dad, "Just so you know, one of my favorite parts is the beginning (the part after the sad beginning)." ;) I love his dancing.
    All the characters were awesome, especially Groot, Rocket, and Peter. I must see it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That second beginning was awesome! I love the song, and the dancing. ;) I'm so glad you liked it Livvie! I really liked Groot and Rocket as a team and individually, especially Groot; and I like Peter a lot too. :)


      xx

      Delete
  9. Guardians is the type of movie that should have never worked, but it really did in the end. I loved it so much! Great review! Glad you liked the movie too.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was crazy and awesome and amazingly well told. I'm glad you liked it! Thanks James!


      xx

      Delete
  10. I'm thinking about starting this one tonight...! When I first saw the trailer, it looked too "goofy" for my preference, but I've heard time and again, it's good. So... now I'm curious.

    Thanks for the review.

    Ps; love your awesome layout. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'll be interested to hear what you think of it! The nice thing about it is it sort of knows it's goofy and doesn't take itself too seriously. It's just fun. :) Plus, there's lots of good music. ;)

      Thank you so much, Rissi!

      xx

      Delete