Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Walter Mitty | Review

via
Rated  PG "...for some crude comments, language and action violence " (MPAA)
Staring   Ben StillerKristen WiigJon Daly
Director  Ben Stiller
Time 114 min


Walter Mitty is a day dreamer. Playing visions in his mind of heroics, adventure, and romance he often loses himself in his land of fantasy, while his real-life self is left standing in a crowd or in a business room. Lost sitting, waiting for the buss. Walter works for LIFE magazine and after discovering that an important photo to be used in it that was under his charge has been lost, he begins a sudden and give-it-all frantic search to find it.

via
I loved the colors the movie was filled with. How the credits and were shown and stylized was wonderfully imaginative and I liked how LIFE’s motto was scattered throughout the story. The scenery of Iceland and Greenland is beautiful, the misty greens, browns, and hills.
"To see things thousands of miles away, things hidden behind walls and within rooms, things dangerous to come to, to draw closer, to see and be amazed. To find each other and to feel. That is the purpose of life."
via
In the short story by James Thurber which Walter Mitty is based of off, Walter never accomplishes the goal of any of his adventures before his musings are cut off, and at the end of the story is just where he began. It's a view into his self, but is a story essentially without plot, change, hope. In the movie we are shown Walter's fantastic secret life. At first it seems a land for him to escape to and is riddled with the negativity of being fiction. But then, as the story progresses, we watch as his dreams supply him with the courage he needs. In the short story Mitty uses his stories to escape his real life. Perhaps this is true of the movie, or perhaps The Secret Life is of a dreamer who forgot that dreams are meant to be lived. A story of a man waking to the inspiration of his imaginings or a view into a man's secret life. I admit I would find the latter wanting.

I like Sarah's review of the movie. She said: He put his ambitions on hold until they were so far away they were forgotten, and he began to believe he was what he appeared to be. But he's not, or else he would have given up on that photo without even trying.

I enjoyed Walter Mitty mainly for its imaginativeness and the beauty of the scenery. If I had been watching the movie by myself I think I would have felt it getting long and perhaps boring, but I didn't watch it by myself. Watching it with friends, talking back and forth, pointing things out, laughing, and telling each other to hush, I found it very enjoyable.* In a way, Walter Mitty felt like a short story and long movie to me. The anticlimactic climax was very appealing, and fit right in with the rest of the movie's taste. The film has comedic aspects, is at times sweet, is filled with beautiful scenery and colors, and contains a few thoughtful moments. These comprise The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. 

My rating: 3 out of 5 stars | Would I watch it again? no


*Usually this amount and of distraction and interruption of a movie is aggravating, but for a movie that I don't love to pieces and am simply looking to have a good time watching with friends I don't mind it (there are, of course, exceptions to this). 


Click here for more reviews.

10 comments:

  1. I really want to see this now!!!

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, I hope you enjoy it when you do. :)

      xx

      Delete
  2. Walter Mitty is on my watch-list, but I am not dying to see it, and I think your review has reaffirmed that I should probably watch it some point. Great review!

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a neat movie for its creativeness alone, but I can understand why you're not dyin' to see it. :) Thanks James!

      xx

      Delete
  3. Aw, thanks for mentioning me, that was sweet. :) I'm glad you liked the movie, and you wrote a great review for it! It's not a masterpiece of a movie or anything, but just what it should be. I enjoyed the creativeness and beauty as well. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. :) I liked your review - you definitely made me like the movie better and think about it more. Thanks, Sarah, glad you think so. :) It was great how imaginative it was at points.

      xx

      Delete
  4. I always wanted to watch this movie! :)

    catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it when you do! :) Thanks for commenting Amy!

      xx

      Delete
  5. I always love your reviews on books and movies! They're so helpful :) Great job again! xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! You're so sweet, I'm glad you like 'em. :)

      xx

      Delete