Saturday, July 26, 2014

The Aristocats | Review

via
rated  G  
staring  Phil HarrisEva GaborSterling Holloway
director Wolfgang Reitherman
time 78 min
music score George Bruns 


When Edgar, the English butler of a Paris mansion, learns that his mistress's cats are to inherit her fortune and  that after them he will he begins to plot their demise so that he may inherit the fortune solely. He drops the cats off in the countryside of France and leaves them to die. The rest of the movie covers the story of the four cats' adventures on the way back to their Parisian home. 

There are quite a number of side characters and they make the movie fun. Two English geese, a mouse who dresses like Holmes, a horse, a musical band of street cats, and two dogs named Napoleon and Lafayette. The butler Edgar, 'madame', a cat named O'Malley, three kittens and two cats complete the character list. There were a couple of familiar voices, namely Phil Harris and Sterling Holloway (Baloo/Little John & Kaa/Winnie the Pooh).

via
I love old Disney movies for many reasons, not the least of which is for their beautiful animation. It doesn't try to look particularly realistic, it's just beautiful art. I love the painted backgrounds. That's the kind of animation in Aristocats and it's pretty. 

The Aristocats reminded me very much of Lady and the Tramp, if you like that movie there's a good chance you'd like this one too. It's sweet, it's cute, it's happy, it's funny. I liked all the characters, the mouse especially. The story itself is simple and predictable, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I wasn't watching it for a clever plot, I just wanted to watch something fun and nice in the old way while making NY cheese cake. And Aristocats fit the bill.


via
my rating: 3.6 out of 5 stars


18 comments:

  1. I remember this movie. It used to be my favourite when I was little:)
    -Kat
    (Almost) Completely Mad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, fun! :) I'm rather surprised I'd never heard of it til just recently.


      xx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun movie! I gotta watch it soon... :] Thanks for this review!

    ~Natasha
    thestoryofthisgirlslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun, and cute. ;) Sure, Natasha. :)


      xx

      Delete
  3. I remember this movie! I used to really like it! - Jollygirl from the blog: http://reflectionsofajollygirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I like it it too, it's sweet. :)


      xx

      Delete
  4. I love this movie so much! I used to watch it all the time, and I should again. :)

    catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was really sweet. :) I just saw it for the first time, I'm surprised I'd never heard of it before, it seems to be pretty loved!


      xx

      Delete
  5. I love this movie so much! One of the few Disney films I actually got to grow up with! <3

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mentioned it in one of your posts (maybe your 100 favorite movies? I don't remember) and said you loved it so I put in on my movies-to-watch-list. I really liked it. :)


      xx

      Delete
  6. I love how you review older movies. Such a cute movie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah, glad you like it. It is a cute movie. :)


      xx

      Delete
  7. It's been so long since I have taken time to enjoy a good ol' fashioned Disney classic! I have never actually seen The Aristocats (sad, I know), but this is making me want to see it so much. I loveee the Lady and the Tramp! Keep up the great reviews! xxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the old Disney classics. :) Which are your favorites? (Notice how I made that plural? :D) I hadn't seen the Aristocats before a couple of weeks ago so it's still new to me. I love Lady and the Tramp too. :D Thanks Lizzy!


      xx

      Delete
    2. I absolutely love One Hundred and One Dalmatians, Bambi, Dumbo, and Wreck-it Ralph (I know this one is much newer, but it was pretty good so I felt it warranted a mention hahah). What about you? ((: xxx.

      Delete
    3. Ooh, I love 101 Dalmatians. Can you believe I've never seem Dumbo? Or Bambi fully for that matter! I've seen parts and pieces of them both but neither fully. And I haven't seen Wreck-it Ralph either; I haven't heard much of it but what I have is that people seem to like it quite a bit. :)
      I love Sleeping Beauty, Robin Hood, Jungle Book, etc. Oh, and Tarzan (the music is just beautiful, Phil Collins is awesome: "You'll Be in My Heart".). And I like all the older ones, like Lady and the Tramp and One Hundred and One. :)

      xx

      Delete
  8. I'd never even heard of this movie until I got to college -- my library didn't have it, so we never saw it as kids. I have a copy now, and my kids have watched it twice, but I think I like it better than they do so far. This is my favorite animation style -- like "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh," "Robin Hood," and "101 Dalmations." Those painted backgrounds are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite animation style too. I love the painted backgrounds (the ones in Sleeping Beauty are beautiful too). :) It's funny how you like it better than your kids do, but I can understand why. :)


      xx

      Delete