Friday, July 11, 2014

How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Review

via
How to Train Your Dragon 2 takes place five years after its predecessor. The viking town Berk has now completely accepted dragons and they have become an essential part of life. Hiccup, along with the other characters, is, of course, older, and his character is much more mature and wonderfully grown from his younger self in How to Train Your Dragon. The development of the characters was was natural and perfect, very well done, in a way that was wonderful.

The story itself was rather predictable, but okay. The major plot twist seemed unbelievable and wasn't very well explained, but perhaps it was better under-explained than it would have been more, or over, explained. However, what followed from it I thought was great. The story is on a larger scale than the first movie, which allows it to be just that much more awesome.


via
I didn't find most of the humor humorous. It gets repetitive...and a little annoying. I did laugh, though, but that was because of the adorableness of Toothless. He can be amazingly cute and puppy-like

The villain was built up nicely and I was looking forward to seeing him, but when he suddenly was present he was unimpressive and his character development felt forsaken. That was a little disappointing. 

The animation is stunning, the water especially and landscapes of trees, mist, and mountains. It's amazing artwork and wonderful to watch. I especially loved the change in all the characters, they're older and look it, and the artwork is perfect. Toothless looks a little different (his scales) but I liked it. Also, Hiccup's armor is very handsome. And his sword is quite nice. 


via
The music, by John Powell, is beautiful and perfectly matches the magnificent scenes of flying through clouds and across water. There was one point in the movie though when I didn't care for the music, it felt like it didn't match, and I would have preferred none at all. 


The movie is worth it for the the scenes of Toothless and Hiccup flying alone. It's beautiful in a way that sends a thrill of happiness through one, just to watch the sheer joy they have in flying. The absolute trust between Hiccup and Toothless is beautiful and what I loved most about the entire movie. 

My rating: 3.5/5


Rated  PG  "...for adventure action and some mild rude humor " (MPAA)
Staring  Jay BaruchelCate BlanchettGerard Butler
Director  Dean DeBlois
Time 102 min
Soundtrack John Powell 

12 comments:

  1. Interesting, maybe it was best that I did not get to see it in theaters. However, I definitely plan to see it later though. :)

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my sister wanted to see it in the theater for her birthday so it was fun, but otherwise I wouldn't have particularly wanted to go. :) I love the flying scenes though. :)

      xx

      Delete
  2. Did you like the first movie? I liked it a lot, but get the feeling that I'd agree with you about this one. Bad humor is one of my least favorite things... Still, I'll have to see this one eventually, if only for the older Hiccup and pretty animation. Sounds like it'll at least be worth it for that. :D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't care for the first movie the first time I saw it, but after seeing it a second time and listening to people talk about it who love it I liked it. You know? - They point out all the great parts. :)
      Yeah, I'm not a fan of it either. I thought it was definitely worth it just for that - pretty animation and older Hiccup, and Toothless. :)
      Thanks, Sarah!

      xx

      Delete
  3. It sounds good, and I haven't seen it yet, so maybe I'll watch it when it comes out on DVD. Great review, too! :)

    catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! :) I loved the scenes of Hiccup and Toothless flying. I hope you enjoy it if you see it!

      xx

      Delete
  4. Great review, I agree with your rating. Not worth going to see in the theater but still a sweet movie:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I thought. :) Thanks, Chloe.

      xx

      Delete
  5. I loved the scene when his parents are singing and dancing, and he's just sort of sitting there happily... Nice review as always m'dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The look on his face was perfect. I love that scene. :) Thanks, Hannah!

      xx

      Delete
  6. Interesting review; I've yet to see this one so I can't really comment on it yet. I haven't seen that many people talk about it though, so it was nice to hear your opinion of it. I will probably see it in the cheap theater if anything at some point here...

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I haven't heard much about it going around either. If you do see it, I hope you have fun! :)

      Thanks for commenting Jamie, your comments always make me happy. :D

      xx

      Delete