Friday, June 13, 2014

Maleficent Review

via
Director: Robert Stromberg
Rated: PG (For sequences of fantasy action and violence, including frightening images. - MPAA)
Time: 97 min
Stars: Angelina Jolie, Elle Fanning
Soundtrack: James Newton Howard 


Maleficent, a retelling of Disney’s animated Sleeping Beauty (1959), is a lot of fun and very enjoyable.Telling the story of the fairy Maleficent, the film focuses on her for its entire length, adding the princess Aurora as a central character as the story progresses and Maleficent’s character grows. I was a little afraid that Maleficent would be dismal and dark, or both, and was surprised and very happy to find that it is neither. I loved the imaginative Fair-Land and all its creatures. 

I liked the details given to Maleficent’s character and costume. I liked how Maleficent calls Aurora “Beastie.” I also love her costume: Her horns are cool and her wings gigantic and magnificent. The snake skin wrapped around her horns is beautiful. And black leather suits are seriously awesome. Elle Fanning is young, sweet, and pretty as Aurora, and I liked her very much. I also liked Maleficent’s raven.
via
There were a few places in the film where the character development felt slightly rushed and could have had more time spent on it, and some plot twists were told in a way that might be confusing. But overall those things didn't really detract from the movie. The very end wasn't quite satisfying to me, it didn't feel very finished. But that wasn't a big negative, as though the very end wasn't as important as the rest of the film, it wasn't the point of the story as much as Maleficent's character was. If some really great actors had been chosen for some of the side roles it would have added a lot to the movie. The only thing that bothered me were the three fairies, who I didn't care for.

Overall, Maleficent is very imaginative and lots of fun.  It contains awesome scenes of flying, cool fighting, and has a good resolution to its climax. And Maleficent herself is a great character.
via
(Spoilers) I loved that scene when Maleficent is like “Oh, look: little Beastie is about to fall off the cliff.” And the raven is afraid she will. She does, and you hear a scream. But then Maleficent saves her. And I love the part when Aurora as a little girl finds Maleficent and says “hello” and then hugs her and Maleficent is just like “Go. Away. I don’t like children.” And then picks Aurora up and Aurora is fascinated by Maleficent’s horns. (End of Spoilers)


My rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars


Have you seen Maleficent? Do you want to? How did you like it?

Click here for more reviews.

18 comments:

  1. When this is released on Blu-Ray, maybe I will rent Maleficent. I am not terribly excited though.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty cool if you like fantasy...that was mainly what I liked about it, that and Angelina Jolie. :)

      xx

      Delete
  2. Great review!
    I just saw Maleficent last night - I really liked it! definitely more than I thought I would. I thought it was a great retelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah! :) I liked it a lot more than I'd expected to too, it was cool!

      xx

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review! I really want to see this movie, but it seems like everyone is interested in seeing the Edge of Tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. :) Edge of Tomorrow looks like it could be pretty neat. I hope you get to see Maleficent sometime! :)

      xx

      Delete
  4. I want to see this so much, but my dad is the one who takes me to the movies, and he isn't terribly fond of fantasy films. Maybe I could convince my sister to take me;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to the movies with your dad sounds like a lot of fun. :) Yeah, make her some cookies or something and then ask her. ;)

      xx

      Delete
  5. I've heard a lot of good about this movie, so I'm coming to the conclussion that I will need to see this when it's out on DVD. :) Good review.

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty cool, I loved the fantasy of it. :) Thanks Jamie!

      xx

      Delete
  6. Great review as usual! I'm currently trying to decide whether we should go watch it as a family, and so this helped. Sounds really exciting (: Nice job! xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I'm glad it was helpful. :) Going as a family is always really fun. :)

      xx

      Delete
  7. Great review!
    I love those parts too =) Such a sweet movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I'm glad you liked it too. It sure was a sweet movie. :)


      xx

      Delete
  8. I've seen this film, it was very good!:) I love your blog, I've followed you:)
    -Lauren xoxo
    http://pretty-things-a-n-d-polka-dots.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun, I'm glad you liked it too! Thanks Lauren!

      xx

      Delete
  9. Good review. It was a very pretty movie, but I can't say it was much more than that because the plot was rather uneventful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was pretty. I agree that the plot did seem rather uneventful, but still, I enjoyed it and liked it. :)

      Delete