Monday, June 09, 2014

Captain America: The Winter Soldier Review

via

(spoiler-free review)
Director(s): Anthony Russo, Joe Russo
Rating: PG-13
Time: 136 min
Stars: Chris Evans, Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, Robert Redford
Soundtrack by: Henry Jackman 

As The Winter Soldier follows both Captain America: The First Avenger and Avengers: Assemble it's very well written, being both a complete story on its own and also a satisfying follow up to those prior to it. The plot is well paced, it's a two and half hour movie but never feels long, or rushed. The Winter Soldier is a complete story and lacks nothing. It's one of the best movies I’ve seen in a long time. It’s fantastic.

The music fits well throughout the movie. It's grinding, heart pumping, echoing. I like it when composers are skilled at silence as well as sound, it's the case here as the theater goes dead silent at exactly the right times, perfectly amplifying and expressing of emotions. The Winter Soldier's theme (here) suits him perfectly.

gif Captain America Marvel bucky barnes Sebastian Stan The Winter Soldier Captain America The Winter Soldier
via
The cinematography and choreography were absolutely beautiful. I loved the fight scenes, especially the ones between the Winter Soldier and Cap. I'd never enjoyed fight scenes in a movie before, but these were skillfully and beautifully done.  

In The First Avenger and Avengers Steve didn’t feel quite right, as though the writers didn't know or understand exactly who he was, but that’s not the case in The Winter Soldier. Here he's a strong, well-written character, portrayed excellently. Chris Evens embodies the role of Steve Rogers perfectly. 

via
Natasha/Black Widow was awesome. It was great to learn more about her character: how far she's willing to go in order to do what she knows to be right. Also her and Steve's relationship was great and their joking was hilarious. Tasha multitasks well.

The Winter Soldier himself makes a threatening and brutal villain. But there's something different about a man who's trying to understand what he's fighting and one who doesn't care at all, and the mentality of trying to understand has an honesty about it in that it tries to recognize what it sees must be good. And the Winter Soldier has that honesty. 

via

















In the title "Captain America", I think America is meant not only as a geographical location but also as an idea, a symbol of what America means. The film asks a lot of thought provoking questions and there're a lot of thematic elements (to borrow a phrase from James). One question was whether any person or organization has the authority to justly intrude upon one natural right of a person to insure or protect another natural right. Whether anyone has the authority to intrude on someone's freedom in order insure their security, whether it's possible to intrude on one natural right without intruding on them all. It reminded me of a scene in Through the Looking Glass, Lewis Carroll's sequel to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. In the Looking-Glass world everything happens backwards. In an attempt to explain this concept to Alice, the White Queen tells her about the king's messenger: "He's in prison now, being punished: and the trial doesn't even begin till next Wednesday: and of course the crime comes last of all." 

The falcon was a great character and I enjoyed him a lot. For fear of giving away spoilers there isn't much more I can say about him, but he's a cool guy and has a great sense of humor. "I made breakfast...if you guys need that kind of thing."

via
Don’t forget to watch until the credits stop rolling, some things are worth the wait. For more reviews of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, check these out: How to Watch a Movie, and J and J Productions

  my rating: 5/5

How did you like The Winter Soldier? 

Click here for more reviews.

22 comments:

  1. Great review; very well written! And this movie was SO GOOD. :D

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jamie. :) That means so much and you're so sweet to say it. I have to agree with you, it is GOOD.

      xx

      Delete
  2. I must watch this again, I loved it soooo much! My sister actually got to go to the Hollywood premiere! I'm so jealous of her:)
    Awesome review!
    Love the soundtrack as well;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing it again too. :) Seriously!? Geez, that's so cool!
      Thanks Christy!
      Glad you like it too. :)

      xx

      Delete
  3. Can't agree with you more! Captain America: The Winter Soldier is near perfect in all respects. All of the themes, like the one America that you mentioned, is what sets it apart from most other films, and the amazing action scenes do not hurt either. ;)

    Also, thank you very much for the link to my blog and review, and for referring elements from my review. :D

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree. It really is a great movie and I'm looking forward to seeing it again, I always notice more the second time around.

      Sure, you wrote a great review. :)

      xx

      Delete
  4. Great review S! I agree completely, especially with how Cap's character finally feels complete and right in this movie. I'm so glad they finally figured him out. He's amazing now. :D And Black Widow has never been better either, and they work together brilliantly. I agree about the fight scenes too, absolutely.

    Thanks for the link. :)

    Wow, I just got a huge hankering to see this again. It needs to come out on DVD soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. :) I'm glad you agree about Cap's character, he sure is great now. :D Yes! Black Widow is more awesome than ever and I love the way she and Cap work together. Those fight scenes were great. :)

      Sure. :)

      Yeah, I can't wait to see it again!

      xx

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh, this film was so good!!! I loved it so much, I agree with your review completely - great review!
    I love your blog, I've just followed you using GFC. It would mean so much to me if you could check out my blog? It's thinkreadwritedream.blogspot.com

    xoxo,
    Bethan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much Bethan. I love it too. :) Thanks so much, I'm glad you like my review and blog. Sure, I'd love to check out your blog, thanks for leaving your link!

      xx

      Delete
  6. I really liked it too!!! It was definitely better than the first one. Black Widow is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it Sarah. :) I agree, I thought it was better than the first too. She sure is. :D

      xx

      Delete
  7. Dear, your blog is fabulous! I like your photos!
    Everything is perfect!

    would you like to follow each other?

    will be happy to see you in my blog!
    www.dianacloudlet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Diana! I'd be happy to check out your blog.

      xx

      Delete
  8. I did not like it as well as you did, but I liked it heaps better than the first Cap movie. So I'll be buying a copy and watching it over again then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it a lot better than the first one too. I want to get it too and watch it again. :)

      xx

      Delete
  9. hey i'm a new reader, your blog's great!

    amy // The Blog Hermit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amy! :)

      xx

      Delete
  10. SUCH a good movie!!!
    Captain America is just so awesome. I watched the first one again soon after seeing the second, and felt like crying whenever Bucky came into it ='(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more. It's just great. :)

      Oh dear, I'm sure I'd do the same. :'( I just want him to remember!

      xx

      Delete
    2. I know me too! So sad =( they're planning on a third one either next year or two years from now!
      Btw, I love that line from Falcon, (breakfast) and quote it a ton with my brother. That guy is awesome. I want his wings!

      Delete
    3. Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing it! :)

      I thought Falcon was a great character. That quote is just great! :) I go around quoting various movies/books to my siblings too. So nice. :)

      xx

      Delete