Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Saving Mr Banks | Review

via
Director:  John Lee Hancock
Rating: PG-13
Time:  125 min
Stars:  Emma ThompsonTom HanksColin Farrell, etc. 
Trailer: trailer


Saving Mr Banks is ultimately about Walt Disney convincing Mrs P. L. 'Pam' Travers to let him take her story and redeem it. In the beginning however Mrs Travers fears Disney will ruin her 'lovely characters' and make her story into one of his 'silly cartoons,' but her greatest fear is letting go. Disney, on the other hand, thinks Mary Poppins came to save the children, Jane and Michael. But she didn't. Mary Poppins came to save their father, Mr Banks, a character representing Mrs Travers' own father.

That's what Walt Disney comes to realize, at which point he and his team - the two Sherman brothers Robert and Richard and the scriptwriter Don DaGradi - come up with an idea they believe Mrs Travers will like. Their idea was to save Mr Banks - It wasn't something that had happened in real life. 

In the end Walt Disney persuades Pamela to trust him with her story and to let him change it so that Mary Poppins saves Mr Banks, so that she - Mrs P. L. Travers - can be free of the weight and dictation of the past. In a scene near the end of the movie Disney promises Mrs Travers:
"...every time a person goes into a movie house ... they will see George Banks being saved. They will love him ... they will weep for his cares ... George Banks will be honored ...redeemed. ...and all he stands for will be saved. Maybe not in life, but in imagination. Because that’s what we storytellers do. We restore order with imagination. We instill hope again and again and again. Trust me, Mrs Travers. Let me prove it to you. I give you my word." 
Tom Hanks is great as Walt Disney, and the two Sherman brothers with their sweaters, polo shirts, and slicked-back hair creating songs are nice. The taxi driver with his interest in the weather is a wonderful character. 

via 

21 comments:

  1. never head of this movie, but from your rating of four out of five, i'll like to check it out! (:
    xoxo
    rainbows and dreams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Priscilla; yeah, it's a sweet movie. I hope you enjoy it if you end up watching it! :)

      xox

      Delete
  2. I saw it! I love it! I wonder how much of it was true though? And how much Disney kinda put in. I did a little research on it after. Supposedly P.L. Travers hated the movie and left the theatre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! I don't know a whole lot about the actual history but it's sad if she didn't like. It would be neat to learn more about the true story.

      xx

      Delete
  3. Haven't seen this yet. Looking forward to it though, it looks very sweet and enjoyable! Glad you liked it, S!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! It was. Very sweet and enjoyable. :)

      xx

      Delete
  4. Ooh I've been wanting to see this! I keep hearing it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw it and really liked it. I don't think I'll buy it, but I'd like to rent it and see it again. That part you quoted really struck me, and I have "restore order and instill hope" on the front of my writing notebook because that's precisely what I try to do with my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! "Restore order and instill hope," man, that's a good quote for a writing notebook. I love quotes. :)

      xx

      Delete
  6. I ABSOLUTELY ADORED THAT MOVIE!
    I found it beautiful, touching, and sweet... I had no idea what the REAL story behing mary poppins was!
    Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too. :) Yes! Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks were great! :)

      xx

      Delete
  7. Oooo, that was such a darling movie. :) I awarded you! http://thegoldenroadblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, wasn't it?! :) Ooo, thank you! Fun, fun. :)

      xx

      Delete
  8. Wow! Finally a blog about movies! I love it! Great review by the way, I shall certainly check out this title!
    -Your newest follower <3
    -Lyndsey @ http://fantasyworldlr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like movies. :) Thanks! I hope you like it. Oh, if you're looking for movie-reviewing blogs you might like to check out these two,

      http://howtowatchamotionpicture.blogspot.com/

      http://jandjproductions1809.blogspot.com/

      Have an awesome day!
      xx

      Delete
  9. This is going to sound weird, but I just got an email from YouTube of a YouTube video, and it said I signed up to receive emails from them, but I know I didn't. So the thing is, I think I subscribed or something to a blog, but I thought I unsubscribed myself, and now I can't remember which blog it was. So I'm just wondering if that email had anything to do with that, and if this doesn't apply to you, sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, I don't understand. If you're getting emails from YouTube, I know I used to too. If you go to your YouTube account and go to settings you should be able to change it so that you don't get emails from them; but maybe that's not what you're talking about. I hope whatever it is gets fixed for you! Oh, and if the email's from a blog there is usually somewhere on the email a choice to unsubscribe, so you could look for that.

      xx

      Delete
  10. Hey! I tagged you on my blog. :)
    Great post by the way! Now I'll have to see Saving Mr. Banks! ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. by the way, I forgot to include my link. XD I moved blogs so I think that definitely could be especially helpful to you finding the post I tagged you in. :p

    iamhalfaheart.blogspot.com :)

    Have a great day! :D <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah! Aw, thanks. :) Oooo, your new blog is really pretty! I love the header!

      xox

      Delete