Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Man of Steel Review

New Man of Steel poster
via
Director:  Zack Snyder
Rating: PG-13
Time: 2 hours 23 minutes 
Studio: Warner Bros.
Stars:  Henry CavillAmy AdamsRussell Crowe, Diane Lane, etc. 
Composer: Hans Zimmer (YAY! Isn't this is beautiful?)


It's largely through flashbacks that we become acquainted with Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El and his character. One of these flashbacks is of a young Clark Kent reading Plato in his dad's pickup truck, and then being pulled out of it and bullied by some seemingly older kids. He knows he's much stronger than the kids laughing at him, but he holds himself back with all his might from fighting. He forces himself to take it quietly. I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. (Aristotle, student of Plato). When the other kids leave we see the fence against which Clark's back had been, and the metal fence post, bent, where he'd gripped it.


via
For the rest of the movie Clark searches for the answers to a few simple and very important questions, who am I, where am I from, what's my purpose. And he has to decide what he stands for.I haven't seen any of the original Superman movies or read any of the comics, but I'd like to. The basic storyline of Man of Steel is that on the dying planet Krypton Jor-El and Lara have a son, the first natural birth on Krypton in centuries. As Krypton erupts the mother and father send their son Kal-El to Earth where he crash-lands in Kansas and is found and adopted by Jonathan and Martha Kent, farmers. As a young boy Kal-El (now called Clark) is tormented by the overwhelming amount that his alien senses see, hear, and feel 'there's too much, it's too big'; but his earth-parents, especially Martha Kent, teach him to focus on what's important. I really like the Kents.

One of the things I didn't care for in the movie was how Jor-El kept appearing, as a hologram. But he helped Clark find his purpose. Another thing was how much fighting there was, rather excessive; and the number of buildings (with people in them) that were demolished. Also the acting at the very beginning on Krypton felt sketchy at times.







One interesting theme in the movie that I hadn't expected was the topic of evolution. There was a lot of symbolism, too, which I always think is cool: the stain glass window behind Clark in the church, the crucifix Clark makes at one point, etc.. General Zod makes an interesting villain, what with his deeply annoying haircut and his beliefs about who he is and what his purpose is. “I exist only to protect Krypton. That is the sole purpose for which I was born. And every action I take, no matter how violent or how cruel, is for the greater good of my people.”

Despite the things I didn't care for in Man of Steel I liked it and enjoyed watching it. Oh, and Amy Adams is cute.

My rating: 3 out of 5 stars




Click here for more reviews.

18 comments:

  1. I liked Man of Steel. But I mainly enjoyed the music! I just can't get over it;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The music is WONDERFUL! :) Hans Zimmer does a great job!

      xx

      Delete
    2. Hans Zimmer is one of my favorite composers! The music in this movie was awesome! I also liked the movie...it seemed to have a lot of good morals:)

      Delete
    3. He's one of my favorites too. :) I know, it's so pretty! I'm glad you got some good ideas out of it...and I'm glad you liked the movie. :)

      xx

      Delete
  2. You've been awarded the Liebester Award: http://on-solid-ground-sf.blogspot.com/2014/03/liebester-award.html
    ~ S. F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw it but I thought there was too much smashing. Really. not much character development either, although I liked the dad a lot. Not rmy favorite movie but great review dear! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree. There was a ton of smashing, too much. I liked the dad too. :) I understand why you don't like it though. Thanks Chloe!

      Delete
  4. awesome review, as always. :) very interesting.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review! :) You reminded me of some of the good things I really liked about this movie, like that scene with the young Clark. But overall there was just too much I didn't like, like the long boring and destructive battle sequences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! Haha, yeah, the battle scenes did get rather boring...very long and very destructive. :/ I'm glad I could, I'm glad you liked that scene too! :)

      xx

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you were able to enjoy this more than I was. :D Good review! :D

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, but I understand why, having read your post on it. :) Aw, thanks Jamie! :)

      xx

      Delete
  7. This was really entertaining from what I remember. Hans Zimmer is such a genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! Yes! Hans Zimmer is amazing! :)

      xx

      Delete
  8. I haven't seen Man of Steel yet :(
    But I'm waiting for the Spiderman sequel :D

    xx,
    felishmichelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to Spiderman 2 too! June 30 is getting close! :D

      xx

      Delete