Monday, January 06, 2014

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Review

via
Director: Peter Jackson 
Rating: PG-13
Time: 161 min 
Stars: Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage 

On the twenty-ninth of last month my family and I went to see the Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. (It's marked as "The Hobbit Smaug" on the sign outside the theater we went to - the whole title wouldn't fit). It was awesome and beautiful. The scenery is brilliant, the colors are fantastic - there's one scene in the woods at twilight, mist is all over the ground and all the colors are blue and silver-grey and the trees are tall and thin and silhouetted black in the moonlight.

The dwarfs are perfect, Bombur is justly fat and yet he outruns all the others with his big red-orange beard bouncing on his chest when they're being chased. Even though Legolas isn't in the Hobbit book he is the king of Mirkwood's son, so he fits into the story easily and well. And dear Kili; well, I loved it. The scene when the dwarfs ride the barrels is great. Bard was awesomeness. I liked Tauriel, which I was not expecting.
Smaug himself is magnificent. He looks just like Tolkien's illustrations, as does all of the Lonely Mountain. It's just splendid. The gold and jewels and stones, treasure in general, is so bright, and the quantity of it all is just right for a story with a dragon.

The music is beautiful, even better than it was in An Unexpected Journey, echoing itself at all the right times. I love the theme for Laketown. The scene when Smaug and Bilbo are talking, and Bilbo says he comes from over hill and under hill, that he is barrel rider and riddle maker, etc. is perfect. Smaug's voice is grande, so deep; "Come now, don't be shy...step into the light".

I See Fire by Ed Sheeran is played during the credits; it's so pretty, an epic kind of pretty. All through the movie the theme of how the dwarfs love gold, so much so that it's almost obsessive, is played. And how, as a consequence of that, the mountain runs with gold...and the sky is filled with dragon's fire, and Laketown pays and burns and the battle of five armies is fought.

And I see fire
Inside the mountains
I see fire
Burning the trees
I see fire
Hollowing souls
I see fire
Blood in the breeze
I see fire (fire)

Oh, you know I saw a city burning out
And I see fire (fire)
Feel the heat upon my skin
And I see fire (fire)
And I see fire
Burn auburn on the mountain side



"We got too close to the fire" (I See Fire). Strange how Thorin changed and his greed increased as they drew closer the mountain.

20 comments:

  1. Great review! :) I agree, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug was an awesome movie!! :D I definitely can't wait to see more. I agree, I was a little worried that Tauriel was just going to be there to be a love interest, but I was so thankful that wasn't the main reason she was there. And yes, I loved Kili, and the Bard, and everything! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! I can't wait for part three either - it's going to be great.

      Thanks for commenting!
      xx

      Delete
  2. I agree! With all of it! I liked it much better than the AUJ, and was so pleased by Smaug and Bard and Tauriel and, well, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very happy with all of those characters too, very happy. :) I'm so glad we agree!

      xx

      Delete
  3. Isn't that the best song? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely one of the best! I've been listening to it a ton. :)

      xx

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you liked it so well! It was pretty incredible wasn't it? :D Smaug was even better than I was hoping he'd be, just all-around magnificent. And I love Bard. And of course Bilbo! And oh my goodness, "I See Fire" is incredible too. I must. Have. This. Soundtrack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was! just splendid. :) Smaug was stupendous. Oh, and Bard was great...for some reason I'd forgotten a lot about him, and then I went to see the movie and he's one of my favorite characters. Yes. Must. Get. Soundtrack. Howard Shore is fantastic. :) There's a lot of the soundtrack on YouTube, by the way.

      xx

      Delete
  5. (here's hoping an unpredictable fangirl-ramble comment isn't out of the question :) ―
    your review, darling, brought back a massive rush of how it felt when i watched the film in all its grandeur at the cinema on 12.14.13. i cannot stress how beautiful it was; how strongly it made me feel. 'twas an epic accomplishment. three cheers for sir peter jackson and company! huzzah! huzzah! huzzah!
    if eloquence can be a term used to describe the musical shore, let it be so. howard shore is officially deserving of the greatest award possible for a composer.
    thorin oakenshield and his company showed amusement, emotion, and depth. but...but...but...*quiet weeping* kili. *bursts out sobbing* too, too many feels.
    the woodland realm; such vast, mysterious beauty. the three main elves' ethereal presence + graceful strength was a delight to behold. legolas and tauriel were incorporated very satisfactorily, i thought.
    bard the bowman appears to be welcomed warmly by many spectators of the film, which is more than other characters can say. we mustn't leave out his little family, though! the children, sigrid, bain, and tilda were lovely.
    NOW we come to the most intense, dramatic part. er, i'm just a little overly fond of a certain stupendous thing who, if he "really is as great as the old tales say... has no equal on this earth." ;) i can barely utter a comprehensible word! the magnificent dragon, smaug the golden. i just . . . can't. *faints*
    in the end, and personally, i believe this film is "worth more than all the gold in erebor."

    p.s. i am so sorry for the length of this comment. •-•
    p.p.s. the film is called "the hobbit" and . . i . . . mentioned him zero times... >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I love your long comments, Les. :)

      I agree a hundred percent, Peter Jackson is amazing. :) Howard Shore is, well, as you said, eloquent with music and his score is beautiful. The dwarfs, Mirkwood and the elves, Bard and his family, and Smuag. Yes, Smaug was quite the magnificent dragon, and golden, literally. :) Smaug was perfect. Whoever is responsible (or whoever plural) for the CGI of Smaug did a fantastic job, and, of course, Benedict Cumberbatch was great.

      xx

      Delete
  6. I loved the movie so so so so so much! Did Legolas look a bit stronger and bigger in this one, compared to The Lord of the Rings? I don't know, it might just be me...yes! I wasn't expecting to like Tauriel either! I was like: "whenever they add a girl, there is romance, and if its too much, it ruins it." But actually it wasn't the normal 'Hollywood romance' that I was expecting...and dreading. So I was actually very pleased with this movie! The part with Bilbo poking his head up above the trees felt like the movie set people took the picture straight from my brain...i imagined it absolutly no different at all! Perfection...
    Awesome review...like always;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! Yes, Legolas did look a bit different to me as well...I think it may just be because the actor is older. I loved that scene too! The colors of the tree leaves were so pretty and just perfect. :) Thanks so much!

      xx

      Delete
  7. I love this, coming from a huge LOTR fan I can't wait to see the movie as well now! Great review, I absolutely loved it!
    Lyndsey at: http://fantasyworldlr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you liked it! I'm a big LOTR fan as well. :) I hope you enjoy the movie when you see it!

      xxx

      Delete
  8. That’s funny the way the theater shortened the name of the movie! :) So, that means it is a movie about a Hobbit named Smaug played by Benedict Cumberbatch. :P
    Normally I wouldn’t mention spelling errors since everyone makes them, but the you miss spelled Legolas as “Legolass” is a little funny.
    That barrel scene was so much fun! It was one of the most memorable scenes in the movie.
    Agreed, DOS is definitely a 5 star movie. It was easily my favorite movie of the year!

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a hobbit named Smaug. :) Okay, I'll change it; thanks for telling me. My sister said that to me too and I thought I fixed it but I guess not! :)
      It was awesome!

      Delete
    2. Back when FOTR came out, Legolas had several silly nicknames (mostly used by guys who wished they could get as much female attention as Orli did). My favorite was Leggylass...

      Delete
    3. I just call him Leggy for short...though I'm afraid it's not exactly as dignified a nickname as an elf could wish....

      Delete
  9. I am absolutely in love with the Ed Sheeran song!!!

    ReplyDelete