Thursday, November 07, 2013

Water Horse Review

via
Director: Jay Russell
Rating: PG
Time: 112 min. 
Studio: Walden Media
Stars: Emily Watson (War Horse), David Morrissey, Alex Etel (Cranford) 
Color: color
Soundtrack: James Newton Howard Shore (Snow White and the Huntsman)


Plot: The story takes place in Scotland during WW2, and is narrated by an older man in a bar in Scotland to two touristsIt's about a young boy, Angus MacMorrow, who's mother is a housekeeper; father is in the Royal Navy, and has been gone for at least a year; and has a sister, but I don't recall her name. He's been a lonely boy ever since his father left for the war, and is drawn to the water, though terribly afraid of it. On day Angus and his mother, Anne, go to the beach, where he spends his time looking in tide pools and collecting shells and rocks; he finds a large oval shaped stone - but his mother calls for him that it's time to go before he can examine it further, and he hastily puts it into his bucket and runs to join her. 


via
Thoughts: I liked this movie a lot more than I expected to, I thought it was going to be some cheesy feel-good type movie (in my defense I hadn't really looked at it, though that's not helping my case), but it was much more than all that. First off, Scotland is gorgeous. Second, the actors are great. And the Water Horse, Crusoe, is so cute. How this animal came to Angus at the time when he needed a friend so badly, and was the best friend Angus had, or ever could have; how Angus conquered his fear of water - or just entirely disregarded it - for his friend, because his friend was more important to him than himself, are things I really liked. Also, I liked the ending, very much. It reminded me of this quote from Blood Feud by Rosemary Sutcliff:
There has to be a first time for everything; for friendship as well as love; and first friendship, once given, can no more be given again than first love.- Blood Feud, by Rosemary Sutcliff

via
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars


11 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! I love your reviews! Oh I need to read more Rosemary Sutcliff books too!! I loved Knights Fee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christina! Knight's Fee...I don't think I've read that one, sound interesting! :)

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! Really? You should! I loved it! Well, I'm not certain what you like, but I don't want to give away any spoilers!

      Delete
    3. Haha, okay. :) I have read a lot of Rosemary Sutcliff and liked most of what I read, though some of her books are a bit much, if you know what I mean. Sometimes her characters are just cruel and sometimes she goes into detail about stuff I honestly don't need to know! But I do really like a bunch or her books, such as Lantern Barriers and her series about King Arthur and the series about the Eagle of the Ninth and Outcast.... I think she has two series about King Arthur, I'm talking about the one with A Road to Camlann and A Light in the Forest and there's another but I don't remember it's title! :)

      Delete
    4. Yeah, I definitely know what you mean. I love books about King Arthur...maybe I should add those to my list also. :)

      Delete
  2. I saw that movie a long long time ago and I remember really liking it:) I might have to watch it again sometime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! :) Yeah, I really liked it too.

      Delete
  3. That sounds awesome! I should get it out of the library! I was wondering something, when you make movie reviews, could you maybe tell what it is rated for? I would really like that:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I liked it a lot, and I bet you would too! :) Do you mean the "official" ratings, such as PG, PG-13, R, and the rest? If so, I'd be glad to - to the best of my abilities. :) In my family we do watch some movies with some skip-worthy scenes, so I'm pretty used to closing my eyes...so, yes, I think it would be a good idea for me to mention why they're rated what they're rated, 'cause I do like some movies that do have...lesser parts. :)

      Oh, and for Water Horse: it's rated PG for, well, first off, it's set during WW2, and even though we never see the fighting part of war it does have the elements of war that come along an effect people all over the world (meaning the spirit and the fear and what not). Also, there is a scene in which cannons are fired, I don't want to spoil the story so I'll just say it is a movie meant for kids so the directors aren't going to have anything really bad happen. ;)

      Delete
    2. Exactly, I am totally used to closing my eyes for certain 'scenes' as well. But the reason I think it would be helpful is because I know what is coming. But I absolutely LOVE your movie reviews! Keep doing them:):)

      Delete
    3. Exactly, if you know what's coming is gory or gross or whatever than why not!? :) Thank you so much Christy! It's so nice of you to say so and very encouraging. :)
      Oh, and thanks for the suggestion - I'll definitely be adding the reason behind the rating from now on. :)
      xx

      Delete