Friday, October 25, 2013

Newsies | Review

via
Director: Kenny Ortega
Rating: PG
Time: 2 hours 2 minutes
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures

Awesome: Great music, good acting, historical plot. The dancing in Newsies is cool. The one thing I would have liked to have been different is there didn't need to be any romance, or at least the girl could have been different.

I've seen this movie over and over, no clue how many times, but I love it.The basic plot is that a big newspaper man raises the price of papers and the newsies (the boys who sell the papers, first buying them themselves) go on strike, they simply can't afford to pay more for the papers. The strike leader and main character, Jack, is arrested and brought before the newspaper owner Pulitzer who asks him to sell newspapers for him again, promising he'll pay Jack well and let him go wherever he wants after the strike ends, and threatening him and his friends should he not agree. I'm not going to say more, it'd spoil the movie for you.

via

Pulitzer had issued an order that no paper was to carry the story of the strike. He explained to Jack that with the power of the press he shaped the future: he had the power to give information to thousands of people every day, he told men what to think. If knowledge is power than a power of perhaps equal importance is the giving and teaching of that knowledge. News informs, it pulls people together and joins them in a tight bond of common knowledge; but what about when those with the power to give information lie, or tell half-truths? We've all hear the saying “power corrupts”.  Lies are so easy to believe. When you're tired or worn out believing a lie can be like settling down and letting sleep take you. And that's what it is. But it's a choice. It’s easy to close your eyes and turn your head away and when you're tired it's all the easier. But history's a straight line from the past heading straight to the future, and though many things change human nature doesn't. People communicate, understand one another, through stories. Freedom of the press is a big deal, as is freedom of speech. But I'd like to point out that can doesn't make do. Stories don't tell themselves, and it's an infinite choice to speak.

Jack was tempted to believe the lie that “we (the newsies) was beat when we was born”. Near the end of the movie he and his friend David go to a journalist who had been helping them and covering the story of their strike to try to talk him into helping them once more. Jack says something to Denton, the journalist, about how Pulitzer has the power of the press, so what can the newsies do? And their man Denton answers, “Sometimes all it takes is a voice”. I won't say more. The first few lines of the song “You're the Voice” (not from Newsies), are these: “We have the choice the turn the tables over, with the power to be powerful | you're the voice try and understand it, make a noise and make it clear.” 

There are so many awesome songs in Newsies. I think my favorite is Sante Fe, but The World Will Know and Seize the Day are awesome as well, not to mention I'm the King of New York and Carrying the Banner. 

my rating: 4/5

Click here for more reviews.

4 comments:

  1. Good review! I love that Christian Bale is in this movie singing and dancing and looking so young. :) I am a fan of musicals in general, but the music from Newsies is super cool. I'm in a Broadway styles dance class, and last week we started learning Carrying the Banner -- pretty hard, but awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Yeah, I actually saw Newsies before seeing Christian Bale in anything else and it was weird when I realized it was the same person playing Batman! Really?! Wow, that is SO cool!!!!! You must have a lot of fun, though I bet it is hard! That is cool. :)

      Delete
  2. OMG I LOVE NEWSIES SO MUCH. It's one of my top 5 favorite musicals, and got I got to perform "Seize the Day" in my theater group. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! :) Really?! That is so cool! I'd love to do that, you must have had so much fun!! The music is just fabulous. :)

      Delete