Saturday, October 05, 2013

In September

via
I read (to completion):
†Chief of the Cossacks, Harold Lamb

How to Win Friends and Influence People, Dale Carnegie
This is a superb book (I underlined a ridiculous amount of it - and don't worry the copy I read was paper-back, I'd never dream of underlining a hard-back); I think just about everyone would benefit from reading it.

*Lyrico: The Only Horse of It's Kind, Elizabeth Vincent Foster
This is wonderful. Horses, the west, a girl and her pony, flying pony; it's all just exactly right.

†The Rise and Fall of Adolf Hitler, William L. Shirer
Very interesting book telling of the life of Adolf Hitler from beginning to end. His birth in Austria, life as a tramp in the streets of Vienna, political career, to his suicide in Berlin. I learned a new word reading that book: megalomania, it describes Hitler very well.

†The F.B.I., Quentin Reynolds
I started reading this book just 'cause. It was fascinating. J. Edgar Hoover was appointed to create a new detective sort of highly trained force because criminals were beginning to use science and not just force and  police simply did not have the training to track down the criminals. Learning about the detailed records the F.B.I. keeps makes you think. During W.W.2 Nazi submarines landed on beaches in Florida and dropped off spies (I think there were about eight, I can't remember) to sabotage important cities, bridges, and what not, but the F.B.I. tracked down and arrested all of them in a week before they could sabotage anything.

†The Battle of Britain, Quentin Reynolds 
I very much enjoyed reading this book, and also learning a little about the Eagle Squadrons. Here's a quote from the book that made me smile:
"Then I looked up at the bridge where the captain stood. He knew that German planes were on their way to bomb this convoy. Yet he didn't seem a bit nervous as he leaned over the rail of the bridge, smoking his pipe calmly. The English are like that. The more dangerous things become, the calmer they get." -The Battle of Britain, Quentin Reynolds 
Dwight D. Eisenhower: The Story of the General from Abilene, Malcolm Moos

I watched:
The Great Mouse Detective
*You've Got Mail
Epic


*Books/movies I've read/watched before.
† Landmark Book


Did you read/watch anything last month you liked especially? I'd love to hear about it!  :)

9 comments:

  1. Wow. I actually haven't read any of those books. This is new. I've usually read at least one book listed on other blogs... humm.

    Oh and The Great Mouse Detective is the definition of awesomeness! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, maybe you should check some of them out, they're pretty good! :)

      Isn't it though?!! :)

      Delete
  2. Eeeep!!!! You've Got Mail!!!! I watched that movie a while ago! I loved it so much!! It was a really cute movie! Do you like it?

    I think I've seen the Great Mouse Detective too! Is there a giant clock and somebody stealing toys, maybe? I watched it like 9 years ago, if I've seen it at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love it! The dog is especially wonderful. :)

      Yeah, there's a clock and a toy store in it...you should see it again maybe if you don't remember it - I love it!

      Delete
  3. It was nearer to the end of September when, for the first time, I watched a film called "Forever Strong". Truly, if you have not watched it, I highly advise that you do, for it is exceedingly epic + eloquent. It is well worth watching again and again (save for a few brief instances). Have you seen it?
    If you have — and even if you have not yet — "Kia kaha!"

    xx Les
    http://bellezzaimparfait.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't seen it, but I just looked it up and it looks very interesting! I hope I can watch it sometime, thanks for the recommendation! :)

      By the way, just looked up your blog and I see you haven't started posting on it yet but I just wanted to say your design is quite beautiful!

      Delete
  4. T'would be wonderful for you to see it; do let me know your thoughts if you do! <3

    Merci beaucoup, dearest! You're fabulous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your blog! I like that you review books and movies! Sounds like you get to read a lot! I wish I had more time to read. All I read these days are boring textbooks for school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love reading but I usually don't get to read quite as much as I did last month. Me too! :) Aww, I hope they aren't too boring!

      Delete