Friday, September 06, 2013

Why I Use Uppercase

via
Perhaps this is a strange thing to post about but it's in my bean.

I use 'uppercase' (as it's meant to be used, at the beginning of sentences, names, and so on) because I love literature. I love books - old books, new books: good books - and I love writing and words. I guess reading a lot of wonderful books one can't help but admire language (the English langue in my case) and respect its importance and power to convey ideas to a person's mind and, sometimes, (more often then perhaps is realized) to change cultures.

So I suppose I use uppercase - and every time I don't some other part of me goes back and capitalizes immediately - because I feel like it's just one little thing I can do in tribute to a thing I admire and love greatly: the English Language.

I don't think it's wrong to not use caps, I just don't personally, and for some reason I was thinking out in my head: why?

8 comments:

  1. THIS IS PERFECT. And THANK YOU for using uppercase letters where they should be used! I rather hate the 'all lowercase' trend that has been going on in the blogging world because it just comes off as being copycat and attention seeking. It also looks immature, as if they don't understand how to properly type their letters, which I know they do, but that's how it looks.

    Bravo! *applauds*

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I know what you mean!
      Thanks for the comment, Jamie!
      xx
      sw

      Delete
  2. Sorry, but I a bit confused. Are you saying that you dislike all caps, or complete lack of capitals used at the beginning of sentences? If that is what you mean, then I agree. Only when I have to type extremely quick in rare situations in text chat do I not capitalize the first letter of sentences, but it is basically a natural reaction for me to do. It actually kind of annoys me when people forget caps.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean I like using capitals as they're meant to be used...at the beginning of sentences, names, and so on. But I totally understand using all lowercase when in a hurry! Sorry for being confusing!
      ~sw

      Delete
    2. Got it, I understand what you are trying to say now, and I agree. Also writing appears more professional when using capitals correctly. Great post!

      -James

      Delete
    3. Yeah, it does look a lot more professional...thanks, I'm so glad you agree!
      ~sw

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you posted about this. I'm not against using all lowercase letters, I actually do it myself... It looks cool sometimes. :) But the thing is, I'm just so used to uppercasing my letters, that I do it out of habit. Plus, I don't want to get used to *always* using lowercase. What if I start to forget to uppercase when I'm writing something important?!

    Well, I'm glad I read this post and thank you for posting it. :)

    xoxo,
    Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it does look cool sometimes! Haha, that wouldn't be good! I wonder how often people do forget though?!
      Aww, thanks Mackenzie!
      xx
      sw

      Delete