Saturday, September 07, 2013

The Great Mouse Detective Review

via
Directed by: Ron Clements, Burny Mattinson
Starring: Vincent Price, Barrie Ingham
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures
Runtime: 1 hour 15 minutes
Release year: 1986


Returning to London from duties in Afghanistan, Dr. Dawson finds a young girl mouse by the name of Olivia who has 'lost her father' and is now lost herself. She was looking for 'Basil of Baker Street', who is world-famous for his detective skills, in the hopes that he would find her father. Naturally Dr. Dawson decides to help her find Basil. And so it begins. Basil lives below 221 B Baker Street (at the beginning and end of the movie you see Sherlock Holmes silhouetted against the window playing his violin) and is very much exactly like Sherlock Holmes and has his own very small violin which he plays when in sulky moods. 

It's fun, especially if you read Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir. Arthur Conan Doyle. Being a Holmes fan I especially enjoyed this movie.


My rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars




4 comments:

  1. My favorite! I love the opening scenes, and the whole film is so well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorites! It's makes me sad that this film is so underrated like it is. I love Basil and the simple fact that he gets his name from my favorite actor Basil Rathbone who is best known for his portrayal of Sherlock Holmes! And Ratigan is a priceless villain, lol.

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I was reading about the movie on wiki and read that another reason Basil's name is Basil is that it's one of Sherlock Holmes's alias names!
      xx
      sw

      Delete