Thursday, May 23, 2013

my story- my characters need a new way of life

Okay, so I've been working on this story since I was nine. I'm fourteen now. That's five years. Five years is a long time. (Or it seems so to me.)

And no, I have not been 'thinking' about it for 5 yr.s I've been working on it. See, the thing about me is I can't write a story starting at the beginning and ending at the end. I need to know the entire story before I can write it. 'Cause when I write, I write looking forward.

So I've been working on this story for five years, and now I want to write. But I can't. Bummer.

I have got to learn the rest first. (For some reason when I make up stories it feels like I'm remembering them. Anyone else?)

So a couple nights ago I was lying on my bed (it was hot) and trying to figure out why I was having a hard time with my story. I tried comparing it to real life.

And I decided that it was the characters that were my problem. Now, I'm very proud of my characters. They're real (not really real). But I thought about it.

The way I think is by asking questions.  -And then answering them.

So. There were two things I found.

1) My characters don't live looking forward. And because they're like me (I am their mommy after all) that's stalling them. B.T.W., they do think looking forward; but they're thinking about the present situation. They hope, but only because of what's happening in the moment. They need to live looking forward. Like real people do.

2) Snap! I can't remember. Okay, shucks, that's pathetic. Next time. Maybe. I hope.

xox

7 comments:

  1. You're a writer! We have more in common!

    Five years is a long time to work over a story; I'm afraid I'm not built like that when it comes to writing but that's what makes everyone so unique.

    I hope you are able to work everything out with your characters! What is your story about, can you share a main premises?

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I know a lot about LOTR, so I do have an idea of what you're talking about. Sounds really neat; very fantasy-esque!

      When I need names, I google baby name sites; they're amazing for giving a million names for each letter and gender! :D

      The book I'm working on now is also fantasy; it's a long story the spans the lives of two generations; a selfish young man writes a fantasy novel but neglects family and love and life and a bad guy (the only unclear part of my story right now) curses him and his novel; the next person or persons who open his book will be transported to his world and will have to live the story out and make sure it gets a happy ending. That's part one. Part Two follows the two best friends who, 30 years after the curse, accidentally find the book and are taken into the book. :) It's still a work in progress. I wrote about half of it last NaNoWriMo. :) I wrote a lot more on my writing blog which you can find the link off my main blog. :)

      ~Jamie

      Delete
    3. Wow! That sounds amazing!

      Yup. Followed your writing blog. :)

      Yeah, I've tried googling names...Persian baby name sites are good too. Hehe. Writers google the strangest things.
      xo

      Delete
    4. Hey Jamie!
      I'm not very persevering, there are just a couple things I'm determined about...but finishing my book is one of them! :)

      Ohhh...if you get me started I might not stop! Hehe.

      It's fantasy (of course), the main character is a (still nameless) girl (if you have any ideas for names please let me know), there are - besides her - six other main characters, in all 3 girls & 4 guys; basically it's long and complected. You haven't read L.O.T.R., but if you had (and you know something of it anyway right?) I'd say it was like middle earth, except more advanced, and though there is what might be magic it's never certain whether or not it is.

      SHORT summery: The good guys fight the bad guys. The good guys win.

      Told you it would be long! :)
      What are you writing?
      xo

      Delete
  2. did you notice that in Once and Future King there is a character who is living/looking backward? =) (merlyn, of course)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! No, I didn't remember that when I was thinking about my characters.
      I think The Once and Future King is going to be one of my favorite books...when I finish it. :)
      xox

      Delete